Redistricting forced Democratic congressional representatives Carolyn Maloney and Jerome Nadler into a fight for the same seat. Challenger Suraj Patel, who narrowly missed beating Maloney two years ago, also joins the fight along with Ashmi Sheth in the 12th Congressional District, which includes Roosevelt Island. Helping voters sort out their choices, The Temple Emanu-El Streicker Center at 10 East 66th Street will host a Candidate Forum on August 10th.
The Daily thanks our reader Sylvan Klein for giving us a heads up on this event.
Our apologies. We don’t have a photo of fourth candidate Ashmi Sheth.
The event is free, but to set aside your space, you’re advised to get tickets here.
also from the roosevelt island daily news
- New York City Health & Hospital’s Community Mural Project Graces Coler“Healing in Community,” a part of NYC Health & Hospitals’s mural project, went live on December 1st at Roosevelt Islands’s Coler Rehabilitation Center. It’s one of nine additions to the wide-ranging effort this year. by
- The “Eviction Machine” Now Slams Into Roosevelt IslandAs a community, we always thought we were immune from these things, but the “eviction machine” described in a New York Times article, is building up momentum, attacking Roosevelt Island’s most vulnerable residents. by David
- Who Just Made the Big Fat Silence You Didn’t Hear?It was RIOC, and that big fat silence billowed out in every direction as it had for months. Starting with brutal accusations in a lawsuit condemning a wide swath of Roosevelt Islanders as racists, the
- FDNY Canceled a Dozen Inspections, Including at a Brooklyn Public School, to Fast Track City Hall VIPFire chiefs raised concerns about favoritism in the earliest months of the Adams administration, internal emails obtained by THE CITY show, as well-connected developers like The Related Companies lobbied to cut the fire inspection
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit —