In 2018 and 2019, pre-pandemic, FIGMENT NYC took pride of place on Roosevelt Island, but now, it’s gone. No word, of course, from RIOC about why such a popular event went elsewhere. You can still see it, though – on Staten Island.
FIGMENT is a free, annual arts event that celebrates participatory art and interactive creativity. For two weekends every summer, FIGMENT transforms a city park into a large-scale collaborative artwork created by volunteers from the local community.
In 2018 and 2019, Roosevelt Island was home to FIGMENT NYC, one of the organization’s most popular events, before COVID shut it down. But now with the pandemic passing in 2022, the event was moved to Staten Island, with no explanation from the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC).
While FIGMENT may be gone from Roosevelt Island, you can still see it on Staten Island, where it will be held on June 4th and 5th.
Here’s the Announcement for 2022
FIGMENT NYC IS BACK! Join us June 4-5 for two days of free participatory art at our new location, Snug Harbor on Staten Island.
What: FIGMENT is a free participatory arts event that celebrates creativity by challenging artists and participants to find new ways to create, share, and dream. For the weekend of June 4th, we will transform Snug Harbor into a large-scale collaborative artwork. Great for people and groups of all ages!
When: Saturday, June 4, 10am – 10pm and Sunday, June 5, 10am – 6pm.
(Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is the result of more than four decades of restoration and development to convert a 19th century charitable rest home for sailors to a regional arts center, botanical gardens, and public park. It is a place where history, architecture, gardens, agriculture, visual and performing arts, and education come together to provide a dynamic experience for all ages. Snug Harbor consists of 28 buildings, fourteen distinctive botanical gardens, a two acre urban farm, wetlands and park land on a unique, free, open campus. Snug Harbor is a 5-minute bus ride or 10-minute bike ride from the Staten Island Ferry.)
How Much: FIGMENT is a free, non-profit event!
What to Bring: Whatever you need for a day of fun. For specific ideas or if you have specific questions, view our list! Note: The event is rain-or-shine. If the forecast calls for rain, be prepared to hide (or dance) while the clouds pass.
SEE YOU THERE!
FIGMENT New York
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- When Was the Smallpox Epidemic in America? End of the TrailHere on Roosevelt Island in New York City, the Smallpox Hospital, a historic ruin, is an icon. It’s lit at night and stands out like a ghost to anyone passing along the East River. Its
- Update: Tram Shutdown Today. Without Warning, RIOC Does It AgainUnchastened by a similar failure in June, RIOC again announces a Tram shutdown without any advance warning. Perhaps they were too busy thanking themselves for the 4th of July. Their belated advisory arrived last evening
- Unmitigated Gall: RIOC Thanks Itself for the 4th of JulyIn an act of unmitigated gall, RIOC thanked itself for the 4th of July celebration after blocking residents from using Southpoint, the public park they pay for. The tweet embraces the “planning committee,” consisting of
- Walking and Biking to the Office May Be Good for New Yorkers. It’s Not So Great for the MTA.Prior to the pandemic, Avi Ashman would travel daily by train from his home on the Upper West Side to his job in Midtown, among the riders who combined to take close to 5.5 million
- Smart Planning Means a Happy, Peaceful 4th of JulyThe 4th of July, 2022, on Roosevelt Island was as peaceful — pre-fireworks — as it was sunny and warm. Advance planning paid off with previous years’ problems never developing. by David Stone The Roosevelt