For many Roosevelt Island visitors, cherry blossoms are the draw. But FDR Four Freedoms State Park causes them to linger amid the thoughtfully sculpted serenity.
by David Stone
FDR Four Freedoms, Stay for the Park
No question, the cherry blossoms, springtime’s natural jewels, dazzle, but the tree-lined meadows plus the message of freedom dig deeper.
FDR Four Freedoms State Park commemorates President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Four Freedoms speech, given in 1941. The park is located on the southern tip of Roosevelt Island, offering stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the East River.
There are also seasonal special exhibits on the grounds and a bust of FDR. The park is a great place to learn about American history and enjoy the outdoors.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the 32nd President of the United States. He was sworn into office in 1933, in the midst of the Great Depression.
FDR’s New Deal network of programs and agencies helped to lift the country out of the Depression and get Americans back to work. He also led the country through World War II, helping to defeat Nazi Germany. After his death in 1945, FDR’s Four Freedoms speech was remembered as one of his most enduring legacies.
In the springtime serenity of the park
But for some, it’s the quieter moments along sculpted planes breaking modern patterns.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- What Are The Different Types of Oak Trees?There are many different types of oak trees, and they can be found all over the world. Each type of oak has unique features, and they all provide different benefits to the ecosystem. by David
- A look at the work derisively called “hippie physics”In the late 1960s and early 1970s, several physicists became interested in the ideas of eastern mysticism, particularly those of the Indian guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. These physicists, including some of the most respected names
- LIFT THE SUPREME COURT’S VEIL OF SECRECYThese nine individuals make decisions that affect every American. Why should they get to do it secretly? By Jim Hightower | May 18, 2022 A Roosevelt Island Daily News Feature When Supreme Court member Sam Alito’s secret
- TUCKER CARLSON’S ‘GREAT REPLACEMENT’ THEORY COMES FROM AN ANTI-AMERICAN NAZIWhy has the American far right adopted an anti-American conspiracy theory as its rallying cry? By Juan Cole | May 18, 2022 The Roosevelt Island Daily News Before a hate-filled 18-year-old murdered 10 and wounded 3 African
- Hemp bill sails through New York SenateSteve Bittenbender | The Center Square contributor May 18th, 2022 The Roosevelt Island Daily News (The Center Square) – A bill that calls for New York to promote additional uses for the hemp grown in the