The new Queens bus routes update plans presented in 2019 and savaged by critics. The effect on Roosevelt Island is a clear improvement, but once off the Island, the blessings are mixed.
by David Stone
The New Queens Bus Map
The 2019 bus map displayed an extreme level of carelessness when it came to Roosevelt Island. For one thing, it was incomplete. Stops vanished, and it didn’t connect with the Tram. That’s all settled now.
Our new local service, the Q104, cruises Roosevelt Island with some changes. The most substantial is eliminating the swing down to Southpoint, rarely used and already well-served by RIOC Red Buses.
But then, there’s Queens…
Folks accustomed to riding a Q102 over to the complex at Queensboro Plaza, where multiple trains and buses converge, will be disappointed. The Q104 route now turns left after crossing the Roosevelt Island Bridge, heading up Vernon Boulevard to Broadway.
That’s good news for Costco shoppers, new and old, because the buses stop out front before heading east up Broadway. And Broadway is host to a lot of other stores and restaurants previously unavailable directly by bus.
Some will love the new routes, but others won’t.
Scrolling all the way through until landing on the Q104 takes time, but you can see the details on every new route here.
Public Comment on the New Queens Bus Routes
According to AMNY, which first reported this story, the MTA will host a series of public comment sessions, starting April 18th, with each Queens Community Board getting a visit. Roosevelt Island’s problem, of course, being a Manhattan outlier served by Queens buses, is that it has no such board. There are, however, options for commenting online.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- If It Scratches, Itch It. Is That Good Advice?We’ve all heard the saying, “if it itches, scratch it.” But is that really good advice? Maybe not. In this personally researched post, we take a look at the science (?) of scratching and come
- All aboard the Nostalgia Trains!It’s that time of year again! The holidays are just around the corner, and what better way to get into the spirit of things than by taking a ride on one of the MTA’s Holiday
- ELON MUSK MAY NOT BE SO BRILLIANT AFTER ALLAs Twitter implodes under Musk’s rule, a lawsuit argues Tesla is vastly overpaying the world’s richest man. By Sam Pizzigati | November 23, 2022/OtherWords.com Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News A good day’s work for
- MTA Warns of 5.5% Fare Hikes in Desperate Plea for More Government FundingFacing massive budget deficits, the MTA warned Wednesday of higher-than-projected fare increases that could push the cost of a subway or bus ride higher than $3 by 2025 — following another hike already planned for
- Heads Up: RIOC Switches Days for the RIDA Food PantryOn short notice, the ever-secretive state agency changed the days for the RIDA Food Pantry. No reason given, and it’s not even clear that RIDA knows about it as they did not send out a