Spiritual awakening – are they more common now, a symbol of recovering from excessive, obsessive materialism? Are some people feeling lost and looking for a spiritual path for connecting?
by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
What is a spiritual awakening?
In our sped-up, nerve-jangling world, getting caught up in the hustle and bustle is too easy, veering away from the deepest connections in our lives. We can feel unanchored as if there is no place where we can settle. For some people, busyness masks a deeper longing – a yearning for something more meaningful and fulfilling.
For these seekers, a spiritual awakening can be a life-changing experience. But what is a spiritual awakening? And what can you expect if you go through one?
Simply put, a spiritual awakening is a shift in consciousness – a change in the way you see and experience the world. It’s an expansion of our awareness beyond the limited, egoic, materialistically-oriented self to a more expanded sense of who we are.
To be clear, there is nothing inherently wrong with materialism. It brings us great art, fashion designs, dazzling foods and music we love. But excess, often spurred by incessant advertising, tips us away from our inner selves.
In most cases, a spiritual awakening happens spontaneously, often in response to a life-changing event or experience. But it can also be something that we work towards, through practices like meditation or mindfulness.
No matter how it happens, a spiritual awakening is always a profound and transformative experience. It can be a bit disorienting at first, as we adjust to this new way of seeing things. You might feel clumsy with others or embarrassed. But given time, it leads to a more peaceful, joyful and fulfilling life.
Here are some of the common signs and symptoms of a spiritual awakening:
-A sense of disconnectedness or alienation from the world around you – You might feel a little swimmy-headed at times.
-A feeling of deep inner peace and stillness, like nothing you’ve known, not at least as an adult.
-A sense of oneness or unity with all things. You can feel yourself in relationship with nature, the trees and grass, even the insects making life possible.
-Spontaneous bouts of laughter or tears. It can surprise you. It’s like the urge to cry I get when I stand for the national anthem at a ballgame. Except you may be completely alone. In silence. Something wells up in you.
-A greater sense of intuition or psychic ability. You see the future coming and understand the present in a new way.
-Experiencing the world in a more metaphorical way. That is, it’s not a matter of textbook descriptions. It’s the deeper meaning encased inside the hidden processes.
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, you may be going through a spiritual awakening. Remember, there is no right or wrong way to experience this – just be gentle with yourself and let the transformation happen organically – in its own time.
What to Expect After a Spiritual Awakening
After a spiritual awakening, many people say they feel lighter, happier, more at peace. They also often find that their relationships improve, and they become more aware of the interconnectedness of all things.
Sometimes, a spiritual awakening also leads to physical changes, like improved health or greater vitality. And for some people, it’s the beginning of a journey into deeper levels of consciousness and spirituality. You just keep going and growing.
If you’ve recently gone through a spiritual awakening, take some time to get to know your new self. Allow yourself to explore all the different aspects of this new experience – the good, the bad and the ugly. And remember, it doesn’t stop going. A spiritual awakening rolls on, the new you at the wheel.
Welcome to your spiritual journey!
David Stone is an Amazon top selling author. He has “written” two books dictated from a spiritual source: A Million Different Things and Amazing: Truths About Conscious Awareness. “I really just typed it out and edited,” he says. “Some of the ideas and the concepts were unknown to me.”
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- How Practical Exercise Leads to Lasting Benefits in Health and BeautyWe all know that exercise is good for us. It’s been drilled into our heads since we were children. However, sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to get up and move when we don’t
- What Were The Hippie Beliefs? A 1960s FlashbackThe hippie subculture emerged in the United States during the mid-1960s and became associated with a rejection of mainstream values. Hippie beliefs advocated for peace, love, and personal freedom, among other things. Here is a
- The 5 Best Places for Americans Who Want to Leave AmericaReady to leave America? Every day, it seems like the United States is becoming a more and more divisive place. Political tensions are high, and many people are disillusioned. Troubling trends in midterm elections and
- Freedom Rises As The Sun Sets At The Iconic Park OasisAt an annual event in Roosevelt Island’s FDR Four Freedoms Park, Freedom was more than an overworked cliche. It was dramatic and visionary. Friends and supporters gathered for a special Sunset Garden Party in New
- How Countless Umwelt Universes Prove That There Is No Real WorldIt’s easy to take the world around us for granted. We assume that what we see is an accurate representation of reality. But what if that isn’t exactly the case? What if, instead of one