Yesterday morning, we published our report on the desecrated flag shredded and stuck between trees outside Blackwell House. RIOC’s response was swift, and the flag was freed by afternoon.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
New York State law requires that government buildings follow a strict rule for when and how the American flag is flown. That says that flags should be held to a sunrise to sunset routine. RIOC got into trouble because it failed to follow that guideline for months. During that time, strong winds, rain and snow shredded the flag, ripping it into pieces which got stuck in opposite directions.
This condition lasted until a resident pointed it out to The Daily. Our report followed. RIOC noticed, finally. We know, also, that at least one other resident reported it into the state agency’s ticketing system.
Bottom line: the desecrated flag is down and RIOC learned a lesson about showing respect for our country’s best known symbol.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
- Adams faces campaign finance violations(The Center Square) — New York City Mayor Eric Adams is facing tens of thousands of dollars in fines for alleged violations of state campaign finance laws involving his 2022 inaugural fund. The New York City’s Campaign
- Freedom Lover Ron DeSantisdavidstone1313 See author's posts
The only flag Shelton Haynes cares about is that domestic terrorist flag Black Lives Matter flag
I’m not agreeing with that, but you are welcome to your opinion.