Barometric pressure is the amount of air above sea level pressing down on you. The more barometric pressure, the heavier the air seems to weigh against your skin.
by David Stone
How does barometric pressure affect your body?
For example, if you are at sea level and you travel up into the mountains, your body will think that you are at a higher altitude because there is less barometric pressure or air pressure around you. Because of this, your body will release more red blood cells to cope with the lower oxygen levels in the air.
This is why some people get altitude sickness when they travel up into high altitudes like mountains and other places where there is less barometric pressure.
What about the weather?
Barometric pressure also affects weather patterns and can predict what kind of weather you will have. If you have low barometric pressure, it usually means that there is a storm coming and rain or snow might be expected in the area.
The higher the barometric pressure, the better weather conditions usually are – however, this can depend on what type of weather an area normally has. For example, if a place usually has a lot of rain, it will usually have low barometric pressure. You can use the barometric pressure to help you plan for what kind of weather you might expect in an area before you go there.
Feeling gloomy or high”
Mentally, lower air pressure makes us feel sad and depressed because our bodies are missing the oxygen that we need from breathing in normally. Higher barometric pressure makes us feel happier and more energetic because of the extra oxygen that is reaching our lungs.
However, if you are in a place with higher air pressure than usual, it can cause some people to have chest pain or other breathing issues because their bodies are having trouble coping with the extra air pressing down on them.
It is also harder for people with asthma to breathe in places with high barometric pressure.
Conclusion on Barometric Pressure
Barometric pressure affects our bodies and the weather but it can be used as a tool to predict what type of weather we might have in an area before we go there. It can also help us understand how our bodies work and why we feel certain ways when we are in places with different air pressure.
Also from Assorted Ideas, Larte & Small
- Smart Planning Means a Happy, Peaceful 4th of JulyThe 4th of July, 2022, on Roosevelt Island was as peaceful — pre-fireworks — as it was sunny and warm. Advance planning paid off with previous years’ problems never developing. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Kids of all ages anticipate the rockets red glare to come after nightfall, but for most, the
- Main Street, Roosevelt Island, What Most Visitors Never SeeAbout the long-neglected tree beds on Main Street, a resident wrote, “They are first and foremost eyesores, and then safety hazards. It’s impossible to believe — No, wait – not impossible — the neglect going on this long.” We took a look around on the 4th of July weekend. Neglecting the center of town seems
- After a Lost Election, A Better Idea for Roosevelt Island“Neither Marc nor I won,” Joyce Short answered our inquiry. She meant the contest for two seats on the Democratic State Committee. She and fellow Roosevelt Islander Marc Block ran in partnership. Entering late with a focused Roosevelt Island theme, the results were better than many expected. Block and Short were both competitive, not embarrassed.
- OMNY for the Tram: Frustrations Prompt a Petition DriveAn OMNY for the Roosevelt Island Tram petition states it simply: “We are asking the MTA and RIOC between them to remedy this.” The solution is simple. Install OMNY Card readers in two Tram locations, but the two bureaucratic behemoths can’t figure it out. It’s all in the background and political posturing. by David Stone The
- Interesting Fact #9 – The First Product Sold Online Was a Sting albumThe first product ever sold online was a Sting album. On August 11, 1994, the album was sold on Netscape’s website for $12.48. This was significant because it marked the beginning of eCommerce and showed that selling products online was a viable business model. by David Stone Assorted Ideas, Large & Small Which Sting Album