by David Stone
New Yorkers got through the extreme cold weather for which Governor Kathy Hochul issued an alert on Saturday. Residents did fine. Or, for Buffalo Bills fans, better than fine as the team ignored frigid temperatures on the way to a 47 -17 win over New England on Saturday night.
But now, with temperatures easing, emergency response officials are monitoring a snowstorm that could bring heavy falls across several regions. Coastal flooding, pushed by easterly winds, threatens downstate areas.
While Roosevelt Island and New York City should miss most, if not all of the snow, a high wind warning for overnight projects steady winds around 20 to 30 miles per hour with gusts up to 55 miles per hour.
The entire New York harbor is under a Coastal Flood Watch from 4:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. on Monday.
The forecast includes a Winter Storm Warning issued for Upstate and Western New York with snow accumulations of a foot or more.
Forecasters expect calmer weather for the rest of the week with the next chance of snow on Saturday.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Why Is RIOC Suddenly Doing the Right Thing? Sometimes… But Why?Doing the right thing is not a sure thing with RIOC. More than a few WTF moments have sparkled through Roosevelt Island during the Haynes regime. And as a rule, they neither admit nor fix
- Hello, Queens? Districting Commission Chucks Roosevelt Island ChaosIt’s back to “Hello, Queens,” for Roosevelt Island as the City Council Districting Commission imploded yesterday. Freshly drawn maps were rejected, putting initial maps shoving the community into Queens back in play. But local advocates
- How Practical Exercise Leads to Lasting Benefits in Health and BeautyWe all know that exercise is good for us. It’s been drilled into our heads since we were children. However, sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to get up and move when we don’t
- The Unbearable Light Headedness of Being RIOC: Board Meeting EditionWe already know that being RIOC means never having to say you’re sorry. After all, why would you when you never get it wrong? But it also means scrambling messaging and information until goofy lightheadedness
- Are the Feds Deflecting UN Dangers Roosevelt Island’s Way?UN dangers were on Roosevelt Islander Raye Schwartz’s mind when she emailed City Council Member Julie Menin as the General Assembly opened. The answer she got made her furious. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island