by David Stone
New Yorkers got through the extreme cold weather for which Governor Kathy Hochul issued an alert on Saturday. Residents did fine. Or, for Buffalo Bills fans, better than fine as the team ignored frigid temperatures on the way to a 47 -17 win over New England on Saturday night.
But now, with temperatures easing, emergency response officials are monitoring a snowstorm that could bring heavy falls across several regions. Coastal flooding, pushed by easterly winds, threatens downstate areas.
While Roosevelt Island and New York City should miss most, if not all of the snow, a high wind warning for overnight projects steady winds around 20 to 30 miles per hour with gusts up to 55 miles per hour.
The entire New York harbor is under a Coastal Flood Watch from 4:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. on Monday.
The forecast includes a Winter Storm Warning issued for Upstate and Western New York with snow accumulations of a foot or more.
Forecasters expect calmer weather for the rest of the week with the next chance of snow on Saturday.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- The Most Beautiful Oak Tree in New York CityThe most beautiful oak tree in New York City crowns a hill in Sunset Park. Our early spring photo catches the majestic architecture of this landmark before millions of leaves obscure it. Others may claim
- “How can he stay on?” a Reader Asks about RIOC CEO HaynesAfter reading about the latest in an avalanche of bad RIOC news, “How can he stay on?” he asked. Our reader asked about RIOC President/CEO Shelton J. Haynes, and his question echoed others bouncing around
- COVID Cases Soaring, Why Is RIOC PSD Still Snoring?COVID cases are soaring across New York City. The Health Department sounds alarms, pleading for face masks in all public places. But on Roosevelt Island, where positivity rates are 50% higher than the city average,
- RIOC Board Meeting, May 2022: A New Exercise in Bunker ModeBunker mode fits as well with New York’s Open Meetings Law as a whale on a shrimp boat. They’re antithetical. One reveals things; the other hides them. But controlled by an irresponsible governor and a
- Sunset Park, Brooklyn: A Neighborhood, History and a FutureSunset Park in Brooklyn is a neighborhood located in the western part of the borough. It has a rich history that can be traced back to the 1800s. What makes Sunset Park unique is its