by David Stone
New Yorkers got through the extreme cold weather for which Governor Kathy Hochul issued an alert on Saturday. Residents did fine. Or, for Buffalo Bills fans, better than fine as the team ignored frigid temperatures on the way to a 47 -17 win over New England on Saturday night.
But now, with temperatures easing, emergency response officials are monitoring a snowstorm that could bring heavy falls across several regions. Coastal flooding, pushed by easterly winds, threatens downstate areas.
While Roosevelt Island and New York City should miss most, if not all of the snow, a high wind warning for overnight projects steady winds around 20 to 30 miles per hour with gusts up to 55 miles per hour.
The entire New York harbor is under a Coastal Flood Watch from 4:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. on Monday.
The forecast includes a Winter Storm Warning issued for Upstate and Western New York with snow accumulations of a foot or more.
Forecasters expect calmer weather for the rest of the week with the next chance of snow on Saturday.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- What Black History Means to the 19th StaffBlack History Month has been reserved to acknowledge and commemorate the achievements of our ancestors, their great contributions and what they’ve done for the world. Growing up we learn about the likes of Frederick Douglass,
- A Budding RIOC Bromance Softens the Sugary NarcissismThe RIOC bromance between President/CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J. Haynes and Akeem Jamal first blossomed as Haynes’s longtime friend, Altheria Jackson, was shown the door. Haynes was so taken with Jamal, he hired him at
- New York City’s Energy Future on Roosevelt Island’s HorizonThe Ravenswood Generating Station, just across the river from Roosevelt Island, becomes a key to New York City’s energy future with a transition to offshore wind power. The facility, long known as a significant source
- Why cats are the best-evolved animals in the modern worldThere’s no denying that cats are some of the most fascinating creatures on the planet, but are they also the best-evolved? And while there are many reasons why they’re so special, one thing, in particular,
- Five Mindfulness Quotes Bringing Light and Insight for Life“Mindfulness” is a word that gets tossed around a lot these days. But what does it really mean? Is it just another fad or buzzword? Actually, mindfulness is an ancient practice with proven benefits for