On Friday, January 8th, NYC Ferry posted a cryptic message: “Due to a mechanical issue, NYC Ferry service at Roosevelt Island is suspended. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue and will post on all channels when the landing is reopened. Please check ferry.nyc and the NYC Ferry app for updates.”
by David Stone
Roosevelt Island Ferry Landing Still Closed
NYC Ferry’s Friday alert lacked all detail, except that the problem was mechanical. The landing has few moving parts, but this marks the second failure this month. The first was resolved in a few hours. After a few days, this one is not.
On a blustery winter weekend, the lack of ferry service had limited impact. But with commuters returning to work today, many will be forced onto crowded subways and tram cabins.
NYC Ferry has not offered any timeline for a return to normal service, and we still don’t know what “mechanical issue” forced the shutdown. We will get back to you as soon as there is more news on this.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Sources tell The Daily that redistricting will cost us Serrano but Maloney and Seawright stay for nowThe 2020 Census demands redistricting responsive to the current population. This brings a once every decade shift in district boundaries and community representatives. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Redistricting Means Change With
- Near blizzard conditions possible as coastal storm zeros in on New York CityThe coastal storm we reported on yesterday has grown more clearly defined. The National Weather Service upgraded the “Watch” to a “Warning” with concerning details. Closings and parking restrictions below. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Dave Kapell Finally Leaves RIOC Board, Four Months After Our RequestWhen we learned, in early October, that board members Dave Kapell and Jeffrey Escobar no longer lived on Roosevelt Island, The Daily asked both to resign. Their appointments were based on their residency. Escobar, always
- Albany Democrats Seize Control of Redistricting, With Unclear Role for PublicClifford Michel and Farah Javed, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 26 at 9:59pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. After years of championing an
- Watch on for up to a foot of snow, starting tomorrow across New York CityUp to a foot of snow is forecast for Roosevelt Island and the rest of New York City. An official Winter Storm Watch is on, with flakes piling up, starting Friday night. by David Stone