Trader Joe’s Bridgemarket opens on Thursday, December 2nd. Extended by the pandemic, the long wait is over. One of New York’s best loved stores arrives with a grace note of historic preservation.
By David Stone
The Historic Bridgemarket Is Now Trader Joe’s
The vaulted tile ceilings are structurally part of the Queensboro Bridge. An original market thrived there until the the Great Depression smothered it. Food Emporium restored it, but a corporate failure closed it again. Now, a thriving grocery chain restores this historic grace note.
Trader Joe’s Bridgemarket Opens at First Avenue and 59th Street
For devoted Trader Joe’s shoppers on Roosevelt Island and the Upper East Side, it’s now a shorter trip for filling carts with unique items. Horseradish hummus, anyone? For the uninitiated, it’s an adventure with friendly employees and great prices. You will come back.
But it’s not the grocery tradition found elsewhere. You will not find stacks of paper products nor is there an array of pet food choices. TJs doesn’t aspire to be everything for everyone, just the best at what it does do.
Now, as the Bridgemarket opens, shoppers can see for themselves.
Enthusiasm for the Bridgemarket opening means shoppers will flock to the store, and other stores will be forced to get better or watch customers drain away. Either way, consumers win.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- RIOC Board Meeting, May 2022: A New Exercise in Bunker ModeBunker mode fits as well with New York’s Open Meetings Law as a whale on a shrimp boat. They’re antithetical. One reveals things; the other hides them. But controlled by an irresponsible governor and a
- Sunset Park, Brooklyn: A Neighborhood, History and a FutureSunset Park in Brooklyn is a neighborhood located in the western part of the borough. It has a rich history that can be traced back to the 1800s. What makes Sunset Park unique is its
- Reduced Fare Taps Coming Soon for MTA Buses & SubwaysThe Metropolitan Transit Authority is preparing to bring reduced fare customers – seniors, disabled, etc. – into the OMNI system soon. You will be able to tap and go, just like everyone else – not
- Another One Bites the Dust: Markus Sztejnberg Exits RIOCMarkus Sztejnberg, the latest domino to fall in a row of RIOC executives, left recently after just a few months on staff. He “…is the latest RIOC executive to resign,” an informant tells The Daily.
- Special Master Carves Up New York’s Congressional and State Senate Seats With New MapsRachel Holliday Smith, The City This article was originally published on May 16 6:34pm EDT by THE CITY /Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. The Roosevelt Island Daily News