His time playing at the piano now infused with even more spiritual content, Roy Eaton’s Bryant Park lunchtime concerts engage listeners at multiple levels.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
Roy Eaton’s musical career is now in its eighth decade. Since his teenage years as a classical virtuoso through advertising jingles to ragtime and meditative reflections, he’s thrilled countless listeners.
But anyone expecting a tapering off of talent or skill will be disappointed. His authoritative playing, filled with spirit is, if anything more powerful.
The Bryant Park piano is a relic, its tones mushy and inconsistent. But no obstacle to Roy Eaton. Protected from COVID by two masks and a shield, he lowers the masks so his voice reaches the microphone.
Eaton tells his audience that its all about light, and light is life.
Especially delightful were his variations on Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. He urges everyone to let their lives shine.
On through Joplin and Chopin and more, Roy Eaton shines his.
Lunchtime concerts, from 12:30 p.m. until 2:30 continue through Thursday. Seating is plentiful and comfortable. Don’t miss it.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl Delivery with a Smile and a Thank you note. We are Junior Girl Scouts of Troop 3233, we are working
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school, she spent harried days on her feet. Financial worries weighed heavy, even with health insurance and some paid time off
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department of Transportation obtained by THE CITY. Yoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Mar 16 at 5:55
[…] Roosevelt Islanders: Actor/Director Michael Rogers assists Hall of Famer Roy Eaton at his annual gig in Bryant Park. […]
[…] pianist Roy Eaton in Bryant Park, September 2021. Assisted by actor/director Michael Rogers, also a Roosevelt […]