His time playing at the piano now infused with even more spiritual content, Roy Eaton’s Bryant Park lunchtime concerts engage listeners at multiple levels.
By David Stone
Roy Eaton’s musical career is now in its eighth decade. Since his teenage years as a classical virtuoso through advertising jingles to ragtime and meditative reflections, he’s thrilled countless listeners.
But anyone expecting a tapering off of talent or skill will be disappointed. His authoritative playing, filled with spirit is, if anything more powerful.
The Bryant Park piano is a relic, its tones mushy and inconsistent. But no obstacle to Roy Eaton. Protected from COVID by two masks and a shield, he lowers the masks so his voice reaches the microphone.
Eaton tells his audience that its all about light, and light is life.
Especially delightful were his variations on Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. He urges everyone to let their lives shine.
On through Joplin and Chopin and more, Roy Eaton shines his.
Lunchtime concerts, from 12:30 p.m. until 2:30 continue through Thursday. Seating is plentiful and comfortable. Don’t miss it.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t