People and Paint make the story of this invigorating summer breakout as Summer Splash opened. It’s summer, people away, but the crowd came anyway.
By David Stone
Photos: Tad Sudol, Gallery RIVAA
Summer Splash: People and Paint
Going out for gallery openings, people think about the art and the artists, but what about the painters?
They think about the people.
Will they love the art? Will they pause and absorb a picture so many hours in the making?
Some art stops you in your tracks.
Summer Splash is the combined creation of RIVAA’s Laura Hussey, Valeriu Boborelu and Ioan Popoiu.
Absorbing art holds your attention, whether or not people are captured on the canvas.
People make art possible because, without them, paintings, pictures and objects can’t exist.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- “Arrangements,” New Art From Toshiko Kitano Groner Opens on SundayNew art from one of our favorite artists and longtime RIVAA member, Toshiko Kitano Groner, is the kind of news we like. We’ve covered her work for over a decade. She never disappoints. The Roosevelt Island Daily News RIVAA Gallery and the Octagon welcome you to an exhibition of new works by artist Toshiko Kitano … Read more
- Haynes’s Conspiracy Theories Now Prompt Rosenthal’s ResponseFormer RIOC CEO Susan Rosenthal’s response came after over three years of virtual silence during which she spoke up only in lawsuits. “I was saddened to see that the Island made the news once again recently,” she said, “with a lawsuit that was filed by Mr. Haynes against State officials.” Residents, she added, asked her … Read more
- An Island Didn’t Want Dogs But Now Some Rescue and Find Homes for ThemRescues – now delivered to Roosevelt Island, mostly Shih Tzu dogs with long hair and short legs – find protection and new homes. It’s a remarkable switch for a community that shunned all dogs and still does in some unenlightened places. Thank local hero, Jim Luce, who’s found yet another way of helping the needy. … Read more
- Now They’re Coming for Your Beer and My WineThere’s no mistaking the trend, driven by poor science. Federal government resources are coming for your beer and my wine. The CDC says every little swallow adds risk to your life and health, but looked at more closely, how serious are these risks anyway? More importantly, is it good science? by David Stone TheCenters of … Read more
- New Art: Woman with a Parasol in Central ParkTimes change, and we are taking a fresh approach and looking at the world through art. In 1875, Claude Monet painted his early masterpiece, Woman with a Parasol – Madame Monet and Her Son. It’s the earliest days of impression and a soft approach to color and object discovers the most beautiful essentials of the … Read more