Exceeding expectations is not normal with RIOC, but they pulled it off here. While the commitment to mask wearing is admirable, the WTF element carries us away. To the Midwest.
By David Stone
Exceeding Expectations on the Roosevelt Island Tram
A reader emailed that she was “on the tram facing this sign.”
It looked okay at first, but on closer inspection.
“What is the language in the middle?”
It took a little doing, but I finally figured it out.
It’s Hmong, the language of an ethnic group from the mountainous regions of China, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand.
While I felt proud, having found the answer, I could only guess about why it was there, below the English, flanked by Spanish and Chinese.
Did the mountainous regions of Midtown Manhattan import a cultural cluster from Asia nobody knew about? Or were they Roosevelt Islanders?
We don’t know, but a further challenge remains unsolved…
Rounding out the WTF circle…
“And why does it say Public Health Madison and Dane county?”
Above is a map of Dane County, Wisconsin. It looks like a lovely place to visit, but we still don’t what it has to do with the Roosevelt Island Tram.
Exceeding expectations, there’s always a chance RIOC will clear up the mystery, but, well, do they even know?
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t