A last chance Canadian Geese Sanctuary was inevitable once the state decided on destroying Southpoint Park. With all their habitat ripped out in turning the area into Brooklyn Bridge Park North, the birds had no choice and nested in the only safe space left.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
The Roosevelt Island Last Chance Canadian Geese Sanctuary
There are now far more Canadian Geese seeking shelter, nesting, hatching and raising goslings, than all the cats in all Roosevelt Island shelters. I counted 20, when I was there, and It’s sort like going to jail or into protective custody for basic survival.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Theory of Karma – What It Means and Where It Came FromThrough research, I’ve conducted an in-depth analysis of the concept of karma and its viability. This analysis includes a brief explanation of the theory of karma, its historical and cultural context. It required a review of scientific studies and academic literature, plus an evaluation of anecdotal evidence. Special to The Roosevelt Island Daily News The
- Stiff Prices, Unfulfilled Orders: How the Private Contractor Running Rikers Commissary Serves DetaineesBianca Pallaro and Reuven Blau, The City This article was originally published on Jun 9 5:00am EDT by THE CITY In April 2022, the New York City Department of Correction signed a no-bid contract with a company called the Keefe Group to take over the commissary operations at Rikers Island, and offer a new web-based
- Haynes at it again. Someone please offer this man a new jobIt looks like a long campaign for a new job for Shelton Haynes. Why else would anyone push this nonsense? Quote from his latest promo: “Given a problematic task nearly 50 years ago, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation established and slowly grew a small-town community in the middle of New York City – until Shelton
- Staying Inside Won’t Protect You from Smoke Unless the Air is CleanSamantha Maldonado, The City This article was originally published on Jun 8 8:38pm EDT by THE CITY As New York City’s air quality remained unhealthy due to Canadian wildfires, Mayor Eric Adams encouraged New Yorkers to avoid going outside to protect themselves from the pollution. The city made it easier for some New Yorkers to
- Gap Show – RIVAA’s New Idea Surprises Next Week at the GalleryWhat is a gap show? We’re about to find out on Wednesday June 14th, when RIVAA‘s artists surprise visitors with a themed show. With ten days to run, they will fill the walls with inspiration while sculpted objects surprise from the floor. But, here’s the fun part: the theme is so loose, art lovers can