A last chance Canadian Geese Sanctuary was inevitable once the state decided on destroying Southpoint Park. With all their habitat ripped out in turning the area into Brooklyn Bridge Park North, the birds had no choice and nested in the only safe space left.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Last Chance Canadian Geese Sanctuary
There are now far more Canadian Geese seeking shelter, nesting, hatching and raising goslings, than all the cats in all Roosevelt Island shelters. I counted 20, when I was there, and It’s sort like going to jail or into protective custody for basic survival.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Roosevelt Island Is Nearly Devoured in MTA Subway Map RemakeA new Subway Map slowly being introduced by the MTA has Manhattan blowing up like a hippo in a birdcage while Roosevelt Island shrinks to near oblivion. First reported in Gizmodo… The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- A Child Hit In Crosswalk Is Third In Two MonthsThe child hit in a crosswalk, yesterday, was the third on Roosevelt Island in two months. Multiple reports say RIOC’s Public Safety Department refused a request for protection during a Halloween party, claiming they were “understaffed.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Child Hit After PSD Refuses A Request for Help Monster Bash,
- Still Sleeping in the Roosevelt Island Subway. Is there no solution?Last month, we posted about the high volume of people finding a place to sleep in the Roosevelt Island subway station. Mid-morning today, there were a pair so out of it, they managed sleeping soundly on those god awful, ribbed benches in the subway. The Roosevelt Island Daily News How is it we can spend
- Proof that nagging – plus two accidents – gets RIOC off its pegRIOC’s been nagged for months about returning mini stop signs in crosswalks. They lower the risks to which pedestrians are regularly exposed. But nothing happened until two people were hit by cars. Better late than never, although it’s shameful it took so much to get some action. The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the
- After Ten Years, Hudson-Related’s Shops On Main Finds Its GrooveShops on Main launched in 2011 with a boom that bombed. Hudson president David Kramer promised “shock and awe.” It’s too late now for either, but what we have is a big post-pandemic bump into a functioning Main Street Corridor. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Shops On Main, October 2021 In past