Hoping to start a tradition, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival opens on Friday June 25th, with its first shows. Featured films run in the Howe Theatre in the Cultural Center. (Schedule & Tickets Here)
By David Stone
As we reported earlier, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) ends on Sunday, June 27th, at 7:30 p.m. with an award ceremony in the Good Shepherd Community Center.
And yesterday, RIFF released the names of the judges, along with their resumes.
- Actor and former Island Resident Vincent Spano
- Long Time Executive producer of Law and order Matthew Penn
- Oscar winning Screenwriter for “Crash” Bobby Moresco.
- Toni D’antonio actress and producer..
RIFF is the brainchild of filmmaker Toni Vitale who joined forces with Roosevelt Islander and fellow filmmaker Daniel Jordano.
See more about films showing at the festival on its Facebook Page.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- RIOC retaliation? Kids of mom who complained about racism now banned from swimmingWas it RIOC retaliation against a Roosevelt Island mom who charged the state agency with racism, last week? Without prior warning or even an explanation, she says, RIOC banned her girls from swimming at Sportspark. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News At 2:00 yesterday afternoon, Susana del Campo Perea left Sportspark with her
- Paving Over History, RIOC Obliterates the NYPL GardenRIOC calls it, “…renovating the open space and garden adjacent to the R.I. branch of the NYPL,” but really, it’s paving over history. Unless paving over open space qualifies as “improvement.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Observing the destruction, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy mused… “The play area in
- People and Paint: Summer Splash, Scenes from an OpeningPeople and Paint make the story of this invigorating summer breakout as Summer Splash opened. It’s summer, people away, but the crowd came anyway. By David Stone Photos: Tad Sudol, Gallery RIVAA The Roosevelt Island Daily News Summer Splash: People and Paint Going out for gallery openings, people think about the art and the artists,
- Extreme Heat Sends New Yorkers to Emergency Rooms as Climate Toll GrowsSamantha Maldonado, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jul 27 at 8:28pm EDTby THE CITY The city is on pace to match 2018, when more than 700 people headed to the hospital due to hot weather, data shows. As the planet is warming, New York is feeling the heat: It recently placed as the
- Exceeding Expectations: Seen on the Roosevelt Island TramExceeding expectations is not normal with RIOC, but they pulled it off here. While the commitment to mask wearing is admirable, the WTF element carries us away. To the Midwest. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Exceeding Expectations on the Roosevelt Island Tram A reader emailed that she was “on the tram facing