Brainchild of Roosevelt Islander Daniel Jordano and filmmaker Toni Vitalie, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) opens June 25th in the Howe Theatre. This comes after coronavirus ended last year’s original plan.
By David Stone
About the First Roosevelt Island Film Festival
“Festival will be LIVE not VIRTUAL,” the organizers emphasize.
According to their website…
“Roosevelt Island Film Festival takes place in the heart of New York City on the stunningly beautiful, two-mile island, nestled between Manhattan and Queens and straddled by the 59th St. Bridge.
“RIFF is dedicated to the discovery and development of independent American and international filmmakers. The festival seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film, and introduce audiences to new exceptional works. We are open to all genres. Special categories include Female Directors and Emerging NYC Filmmakers.
“RIFF hosts screenings, panels and social networking opportunities for everyone involved. Leading figures from all disciplines of the film industry including distributors and media will be in attendance.
“RIFF will accept films in every genre, on any topic from every country around the world.”Roosevelt Island Film Festival
For a complete schedule, click here.
Awards will be given on on June 27th at 7:00 p.m. at a ceremony in the Good Shepherd Community Center.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Will the Roosevelt Island Tram tumble out of New York City Transit?Don’t tell the Roosevelt Island Tram operators, but the MetroCard will be gone in a little over a year. That’s according to TimeOut New York. But what does that mean for Roosevelt Island? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Roosevelt Island Daily thanks Sylvan Klein for the heads up. The Roosevelt Island
- RIHS Returns The Elevator Storehouse Plaque Home On Roosevelt IslandEfforts by the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) paid off yesterday when an original plaque from the Elevator Storehouse came home. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The plaque, identifying a building providing elevator service to Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge, arrived by car. Historical Society leader Judith Berdy arranged it. She
- A Gunboat in the East River Off Roosevelt IslandA gunboat in the East River, this morning, a blast from an painful past, a reminder of the sad way we were. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Twenty years ago, after the World Trade Center disaster, gunboats in the East River were a daily fixture. Walking from Manhattan Park to the subway,
- It’s Constitution Week. Lynne Shinozaki and NYPL Welcome You to Learning More“We met at the Roosevelt Island Library last Friday to promote awareness of Constitution Week,” Shinozaki says. “It’s a National Celebration to bring renewed awareness to the awesome document that our Country is based on.” The Roosevelt Island Daily News “Please stop by our Roosevelt Island Public Library, 504 Main Street, and learn more about
- KICK SOME ASS, ROOSEVELT ISLAND. MAKE THE BASTARDS LISTENMake the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts