Brainchild of Roosevelt Islander Daniel Jordano and filmmaker Toni Vitalie, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) opens June 25th in the Howe Theatre. This comes after coronavirus ended last year’s original plan.
By David Stone
About the First Roosevelt Island Film Festival
“Festival will be LIVE not VIRTUAL,” the organizers emphasize.
According to their website…
“Roosevelt Island Film Festival takes place in the heart of New York City on the stunningly beautiful, two-mile island, nestled between Manhattan and Queens and straddled by the 59th St. Bridge.
“RIFF is dedicated to the discovery and development of independent American and international filmmakers. The festival seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film, and introduce audiences to new exceptional works. We are open to all genres. Special categories include Female Directors and Emerging NYC Filmmakers.
“RIFF hosts screenings, panels and social networking opportunities for everyone involved. Leading figures from all disciplines of the film industry including distributors and media will be in attendance.
“RIFF will accept films in every genre, on any topic from every country around the world.”Roosevelt Island Film Festival
For a complete schedule, click here.
Awards will be given on on June 27th at 7:00 p.m. at a ceremony in the Good Shepherd Community Center.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Is it expensive living on Roosevelt Island? Not when you know where to look“This just made me so sad for this lovely Island… “I just observed a woman urinating in a cup in the sitting area at top of subway steps/elevators. No public safety, no NYC police and no mta employees visible. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “I have only been working on RI 5
- Happy Pride at Roosevelt Island Graduate HotelGraduate Roosevelt Island hosts Happy Pride, a series of pop-ups from NYC favorites on Saturday, June 26th. Graduate recently opened at the entrance to the Cornell Tech campus. The Roosevelt Island Daily News So, what’s up with Happy Pride The event includes Big Gay Ice Cream, nail-art and mini manicures from Paint Box, Magic Mix Juicery, a
- At last, RIOC shuts down its costly, mysterious COVID testing siteRIOC’s mysterious COVID testing site is closing, stopping the cash drain from residents’ pockets. But the state’s still unwilling to tell us enough about it. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News While lies and deception remain unchecked, RIOC says its Swift Rapid COVID testing site expires on June 30th. This follows an inexplicable
- William vanden Heuvel dies. The Founder and guiding spirit at Four Freedoms ParkYesterday, June 15th, 2021, William vanden Heuvel died at his home in Manhattan. The cause was pneumonia, but in real time, the man’s legacy lives on. He’ll not simply be remembered, his spirit will be embraced. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “We need the patience to prevail, the discipline to succeed, the
- Hey, New York! You earned it. COVID restrictions blow away with fireworks tonightAs Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News COVID Restrictions Blown Away Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health