Brainchild of Roosevelt Islander Daniel Jordano and filmmaker Toni Vitalie, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) opens June 25th in the Howe Theatre. This comes after coronavirus ended last year’s original plan.
By David Stone
Working in tandem with Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance, RIFF launches with three short features on the 25th. Tickets for that and all other films are available here.
About the First Roosevelt Island Film Festival
“Festival will be LIVE not VIRTUAL,” the organizers emphasize.
According to their website…
“Roosevelt Island Film Festival takes place in the heart of New York City on the stunningly beautiful, two-mile island, nestled between Manhattan and Queens and straddled by the 59th St. Bridge.
“RIFF is dedicated to the discovery and development of independent American and international filmmakers. The festival seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film, and introduce audiences to new exceptional works. We are open to all genres. Special categories include Female Directors and Emerging NYC Filmmakers.
“RIFF hosts screenings, panels and social networking opportunities for everyone involved. Leading figures from all disciplines of the film industry including distributors and media will be in attendance.
“RIFF will accept films in every genre, on any topic from every country around the world.”Roosevelt Island Film Festival
For a complete schedule, click here.
Awards will be given on on June 27th at 7:00 p.m. at a ceremony in the Good Shepherd Community Center.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The ‘Black Benjie Way’: Bronx Peacemaker Whose Killing Led To Gang Truce Honored With Street NamingJonathan Custodio, The City This article was originally published on Jun 3 2:26pm EDT by THE CITY More than 50 years after he lost his life serving as a peacemaker in the South Bronx, the intersection of East 165 Street and Rogers Place in Longwood has been officially renamed Cornell “Black Benjie” Benjamin Way. The
- Things To Consider When Relocating Your OfficeAre you planning to relocate your business’s office? Consider these tips to reduce stress and make the process go more smoothly for you and your team.
- NYC Sheriff Hawked ‘Gimmick’ COVID Protection Just Before Mayor Adams Hired HimYoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Jun 2 5:00am EDT by THE CITY Just weeks before he was tapped to serve as New York City sheriff, former NYPD Sergeant Anthony Miranda attended an awards gala in Great Neck, Long Island, with his wife, where they wore purple cards resembling conference badges.
- Airbnb and Hosts Sue City, Calling New Registration Rules a Virtual BanKatie Honan, The City This article was originally published on Jun 1 7:03pm EDT by THE CITY Hospitality giant Airbnb and several of its local hosts filed lawsuits against New York City on Thursday, with both seeking to block a new short-term rental law and registration rules that they say effectively bans stays — and
- 500 Cots in Place as City Readies to Convert JFK Mail Warehouse to Migrant ShelterGwynne Hogan, The City This article was originally published on Jun 1 12:25pm EDT by THE CITY Five hundred cots and several trailers with showers and bathrooms are in place at a sprawling warehouse at John F. Kennedy International Airport compound, THE CITY has learned, awaiting the green light from federal authorities to move migrants
[…] we reported earlier, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) ends on Sunday, June 27th, at 7:30 p.m. with an […]