Brainchild of Roosevelt Islander Daniel Jordano and filmmaker Toni Vitalie, the first Roosevelt Island Film Festival (RIFF) opens June 25th in the Howe Theatre. This comes after coronavirus ended last year’s original plan.
By David Stone
About the First Roosevelt Island Film Festival
“Festival will be LIVE not VIRTUAL,” the organizers emphasize.
According to their website…
“Roosevelt Island Film Festival takes place in the heart of New York City on the stunningly beautiful, two-mile island, nestled between Manhattan and Queens and straddled by the 59th St. Bridge.
“RIFF is dedicated to the discovery and development of independent American and international filmmakers. The festival seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film, and introduce audiences to new exceptional works. We are open to all genres. Special categories include Female Directors and Emerging NYC Filmmakers.
“RIFF hosts screenings, panels and social networking opportunities for everyone involved. Leading figures from all disciplines of the film industry including distributors and media will be in attendance.
“RIFF will accept films in every genre, on any topic from every country around the world.”Roosevelt Island Film Festival
For a complete schedule, click here.
Awards will be given on on June 27th at 7:00 p.m. at a ceremony in the Good Shepherd Community Center.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Julie Menin takes the helm of the New York City Council’s Committee on Small BusinessThe Roosevelt Island Daily News “I ran for City Council on a platform to help support our struggling small businesses with a detailed plan of action focused on reducing onerous fines, implementing legacy small business legislation, reducing the commercial rent tax and creating a one stop portal for licenses and permits,” Menin said in a
- Nobody beats the Wiz, but fortunately Roosevelt Island did…Nobody beats the Wiz? What’s that got to do with Roosevelt Island? Nothing now, and that’s the good news. Here’s why… by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Carhartt Men’s Knit Cuffed Beanie Here’s how it looked in 2000 – when RIOC agreed to let Nobody beats the Wiz founder Stephen S. Jemal build
- Robert K. Hughes, After 35 Years, Ends His Service on Roosevelt IslandRob Hughes started work on Roosevelt Island in 1982 as a hospital care investigator at Goldwater Hospital, now the site of Cornell Tech. He leaves as Coler-Goldwater’s executive director after nearly 13 years in the post. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Hughes service on Roosevelt Island was interrupted in 1997 when he
- Slow Job Growth Reflects Omicron’s Economic TollGreg David, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 20 at 7:55pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Even with the city filled with tourists and office workers coming back to their desks, New York gained only 26,000 jobs in December, a pace that would put
- Who killed the Tram Plaza Reindeer?Property destruction comes in all flavors, but some land in a whole new category of stupid – like what happened to the Tram Plaza Reindeer… by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts