Likely tied to a recent bulge in visitors on Roosevelt Island, many maskless, coronavirus infection rates again jumped dramatically. And new threats from crowds of cherry blossom lovers may sustain the trend.
With coronavirus infection rates leaping over 25% to 2.31%, this week, Roosevelt Island lags behind dozens of other communities in controlling the now yearlong outbreak. In the week ending April 13th, 9 out of 389 tests were positive.
And Roosevelt Island also showed a worrisome decrease in testing.
All statistics are provided by the New York City Department of Health.
As we reported earlier, residents complained bitterly when visitors enjoying the fresh air during spring break removed their face masks on arrival. Families donning masks required for Tram and subway riders pulled them down or removed them in public areas.
RIOC‘s Public Safety Department reportedly refused to act.
The current city rate of infections is 5.34%, and in Manhattan, it’s 2.49%.
Overall, Roosevelt Island, which for months was among the five best communities in infection rates, is no longer in the top twenty-five.
In other local news…
- Senator José Serrano’s disingenuous claims don’t cut it as RIOC board conflict deepensAs Jeffrey Escobar did the right thing as a nonresident, resigning from RIOC’s board of directors, State Senator José Serrano openly mislead the community about his role. The Roosevelt Islander blog reported his comments from a September 30th meeting. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News State Senator José Serrano on His Role in
- The Ugly AVAC Breakdown Now Extends Trash Heaps Through Roosevelt LandingsThe crisis caused by a nearly six month AVAC breakdown grew, this week,as the trash collection mess extended into Roosevelt Landings. Roosevelt Landings is the community’s largest resident complex. Photos of smelly trash bags, stacked at curbs, Manhattan-style, underscores RIOC incompetence as well as indifference. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The AVAC
- Canadian Geese Graze Through a Gentle Autumn in Southpoint ParkAs a slow and gentle autumn eases across New York, a small crew of Canadian Geese share the sunset in Roosevelt Island‘s Southpoint Park. The Roosevelt Island Daily News Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- You’re Invited: Public Opening Reception for Connie Tanner’s “The Roosevelts” at the Octagon GalleryOpening Reception: Thursday, October 21 from 5-8 pm 2021 Venue: Octagon Gallery – 888 Main St. Roosevelt Island, NY 10044 Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- A Headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse… Is It Still a Lighthouse?The now headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse poses a dilemma. Once a lighthouse loses its head, is it still a lighthouse? The Roosevelt Island Daily News By any of its previous names – Blackwell Island Lighthouse, Welfare Island Lighthouse – the Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, over nearly 150 years, never lost its head. It’s historic plus, designed