Likely tied to a recent bulge in visitors on Roosevelt Island, many maskless, coronavirus infection rates again jumped dramatically. And new threats from crowds of cherry blossom lovers may sustain the trend.
With coronavirus infection rates leaping over 25% to 2.31%, this week, Roosevelt Island lags behind dozens of other communities in controlling the now yearlong outbreak. In the week ending April 13th, 9 out of 389 tests were positive.
And Roosevelt Island also showed a worrisome decrease in testing.
All statistics are provided by the New York City Department of Health.
As we reported earlier, residents complained bitterly when visitors enjoying the fresh air during spring break removed their face masks on arrival. Families donning masks required for Tram and subway riders pulled them down or removed them in public areas.
RIOC‘s Public Safety Department reportedly refused to act.
The current city rate of infections is 5.34%, and in Manhattan, it’s 2.49%.
Overall, Roosevelt Island, which for months was among the five best communities in infection rates, is no longer in the top twenty-five.
In other local news…
- Holy Transparency! RIOC coughs up a few details on their dark fiber project…It’s not that the details, released last evening, of the dark fiber project are so startling. No, it’s that RIOC coughed them up at all. Without being asked. By David Stone Roosevelt Island Daily News In a promising development, after hours on Tuesday, RIOC emailed an alert to its subscribers. “Installation of an inground fiber
- Quick Update: The Mysterious, Small East Promenade Sinkhole Is Now a Pile of DirtThe small East Promenade sinkhole evolved, this week, but we’re no closer to understanding the mystery RIOC’s creating. Here’s a quick update. By David Stone Roosevelt Island Daily News The small East Promenade sinkhole before. Always tainted with a CYA strain, RIOC, in the last year, became more like a secret society of elites. Although
- Daughter of a refugee, Emmy winning journalist, political activist – Kim Moscaritolo wants your vote for City CouncilKim Moscaritolo is running to replace Ben Kallos as 5th District City Council Member. The 5th covers the Upper East Side and Roosevelt Island. davidstone1313 See author's posts
- Macy’s Flower Show 2021, In Case You Missed ItMacy’s Flower Show 2021 was unexpected. They scrambled, putting it together much faster than usual as COVID restrictions slowly lifted. We went on a photo safari for sharing with readers who may not be able to see it themselves. By David Stone Roosevelt Island Daily News Walking through Macy’s Flower Show 2021 When we moved
- At RIOC’s Swift COVID testing site, are consumers being gouged on prices and more?Are consumers being gouged on prices at RIOC’s Swift COVID testing site? According to information gleaned from a Kaiser Health Network report, they may be. And as Roosevelt Islanders foot the bills, profiteering appears to reach far beyond that. Here’s what we know, so far. By David Stone Roosevelt Island Daily News Lab companies have