You might think the birds flock around this man just for food, but look closer. The majority are hanging. They like the pigeon bird man, and he likes them.
His animal friendly generosity reaches out to passersby. DONATIONS FOR BIRDSEED reads a bag open near his feet.
Washington Square’s Bird Man NYC’s Don’t Misses Nearby
A hundred yards east, you find Colin Huggins with his piano that kills fascists…
Huggins was once a reasonably sane person who accompanied dancers for the Joffrey Ballet.
For a steady paycheck.
But in 2007, at 29, he decided to busk instead, giving up security and boredom for freedom and creativity.
It was tough going at first. Chased from Father Demo and Union Squares because complaints poured in about the large crowds, he moved. Penalized for success in 2011, the city fined him over $6K for playing the piano.
But today, he continues, along with the Pigeon Bird Man of NYC, keeping Washington Square Park the most original of Manhattan venues.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The 30th Anniversary of Restaurant Week Is Coming in JulyWhy not get some of it coming to Roosevelt Island? Restaurants wishing to be part of it must register by July 5th. Wouldn’t it be a good and healthy thing to have our local restaurants
- New York City Pride March, June 26th, 2022Celebrating LGBTQIA+, the New York City Pride March steps out at noon from the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 25th Street at the north end of Madison Square Park. This week, emotions surrounding Pride turned
- New York to Abortion Seekers: We Will Be Here for YouNew York City officials responded emphatically Friday to the U.S. Supreme Court decision overturning the landmark case Roe v. Wade, announcing plans to launch a hotline to share information and expand provider access to make
- Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright Assails Overturning RoeNew York State Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright represents the Upper East Side and Roosevelt Island. She’s a staunch support of any woman’s individual right to choose. But for her, it’s also personal. Her mentor and
- Could All of New York City Be Designated a Gun Free Zone?The U.S. Supreme Court Thursday found New York’s restrictive handgun carry permit laws to be unconstitutional, triggering a scramble by state officials to find ways to create “sensitive locations” where handguns will still be prohibited.