The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) surprised residents in its New York City neighborhood last week, opening a new branch office in the Dominican Republic, over a thousand miles away from its area of responsibility. The new location was inadvertently exposed in a tweet from Higüey.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) has shocked residents by opening a new branch office in the Dominican Republic, over a thousand miles away from its area of responsibility.
This move has baffled many, who can’t understand why RIOC would want to open an office so far from home. Some have speculated that the corporation is simply trying to escape the cold winters of New York City. Others believe that RIOC is hoping to tap into the Dominican Republic’s thriving tourism market.
Whatever the reason, one thing is clear: this move is sure to be a headache for residents of Roosevelt Island, who will now have to travel even further just for senior parking permits. We can only hope that RIOC knows what it’s doing.
Is there any evidence that RIOC knows what it’s doing?
There is no evidence that RIOC knows what it’s doing. The corporation has not released any statement explaining its reasoning for opening a branch office in the Dominican Republic, and residents are understandably baffled by the move.
RIOC’s silence on the matter only adds to the mystery, and many Roosevelt Island residents are left wondering if the corporation is simply trying to escape the cold winters of New York City, or if it is hoping to tap into the Dominican Republic’s thriving tourism market. Or is it something else?
Only time will tell what RIOC’s true intentions are, but for now, residents are justifiably concerned about the corporation’s sudden expansion.
Please help us by supporting independent local reporting.
More from the roosevelt island daily news
- Weed Retailers Rail Against ‘Financial Slavery’ in State Cannabis RolloutGabriel Poblete and Rosalind Adams, The City This article was originally published on Jun 7 4:18pm EDT by THE CITY State officials in charge of New York’s slow-to-start retail cannabis rollout met with license-holders Tuesday
- Mayor Eric Adams’ Sister-In-Law Landed $150,000 City Government GigYoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Jun 8 5:01am EDT by THE CITY The administration of Eric Adams appointed the mayor’s sister-in-law Sharon Adams to a job at the city Department
- How to Stay Safe as Hazardous Wildfire Smoke Engulfs New YorkSamantha Maldonado and Rachel Holliday Smith, The City This article was originally published on Jun 7 3:04pm EDT by THE CITY Smoke from wildfires in Canada brought another day of especially bad air quality in
- RIOC Sucks Wind Now In Defamation Claims Against WhistleblowersWhistleblowers Erica Spencer-EL, Amy Smith and Jessica Cerone sued RIOC for unlawful termination in February. In an extraordinary move, the state agency fired back with defamation claims in a separate lawsuit. But last month, The
- Why Blue Lights Are Appearing at Some Subway StationsJose Martinez, The City This article was originally published on Jun 7 5:00am EDT by THE CITY Three subway stations that are among the most prone to people going onto the tracks are the first
[…] The expensive but largely AWOL state agency under Governor Kathy Hochul may be operating out of its office in the Dominican Republic and unaware of any Main Street […]