For God only knows what reason, NYC Ferry posted a “curated” Roaming Through Roosevelt Island. Who did this? While the whole thing, including a tour of Astoria as “Option One,” looks like an unmarked advertorial, it could only get better if the writer, Rae Baker, had ever been here.
by David Stone
Roaming Through Roosevelt Island
Baker’s roaming starts with a worthy FDR Four Freedoms State Park, but instead of using any of many high quality photos of the park – or taking her own, which sadly would require actually being her – she embeds a cliched summer scene from Twitter.
And that’s the high point.
Romping on, Baker gives us something called “Roosevelt Ruins.” Fortunately, she includes yet another Twitter image – they’re free – that identifies it. But as with Four Freedoms, she never tells you where it is or how you get there.
Next up, she surrounds her northernmost ramble with, not one, but two drinking and dining places inside the Graduate Hotel. Anything At All and The Panorama Room are both fine additions to Roosevelt Island… but the only thing worth roaming for north of there is Gallery RIVAA?
We want to help NYC Ferry, and so, The Daily generously donates the following list of sites missed:
- The historic, one of a kind, Roosevelt Island Tram
- Cornell Tech with its groundbreaking bundle of well-architected structures. (Hint: The Graduate Hotel is the least impressive on the campus.)
- Blackwell House, also landmarked, and fully restored as an 18th Century farmhouse.
- The Chapel of the Good Shepherd, on the National Record of Historic Places since 1972, but not NYC Ferry worthy.
- The Octagon, known internationally for its being the setting of Nellie Bly’s groundbreaking coverage of nightmarish conditions in a women’s asylum.
- Finally, Lighthouse Park with it historic light at Hell Gate and the new Girl Puzzle installation inside the park.
Maybe NYC Ferry could come visit Roosevelt Island, get a firsthand look at the community instead of relying fully on Twitter views. Twitter as news is an unfortunate local plague consistently misrepresenting the Island because it’s a free hit for lazy reporters.
Roosevelt Island deserves better – and an apology from NYC Ferry.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The New RIOC Passion for Self-Promotion Embarrasses Gretchen RobinsonWhat Chief Counsel Gretchen Robinson did may not embarrass her, but it should. Fifth in a series of what look like Jobs Wanted ads, Robinson snags space on a website set up for… wait for
- Are New York City Streets Getting Filthier? The Numbers Aren’t So ClearMayor Eric Adams’ war on trash and rats has led him to increase funding for more litter-basket pickup and lot-cleanup programs — but his office is at odds with New York’s Strongest about how they
- Motorgate Rate Increases, As Foolish As They Are UncaringSometimes, you run out of words. Describing RIOC’s heartless and thick-headed Motorgate rate increases backs us against the wall in frustration. Already grossly incompetent, management under Governor Kathy Hochul and CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J.
- How To Make Your Small Business MemorableBecome a familiar business in your community. Discover how to make your small business memorable and make a lasting impression on consumers.
- Common Testing Doctors Use To Find CancerIf your doctor’s worried that you have cancer, there are specific tests they’ll order. These are a few of the common tests doctors use to find cancer.