We suspected selective enforcement when PSD lazily put up barriers in front of a single fire hydrant on Main Street. Was it just knuckle-headed or something worse?
by David Stone
When PSD Chief Kevin Brown was confronted over an ungainly barrier set up in front of Bread & Butter Deli, he admitted that he set it up to prevent parking in front of the fire hydrant.
That’s right. RIOC’s top executive in charge of safety figured that a permanent barrier in front of a fire hydrant was better than an occasional car parking there.
Then, just in case, Brown made the barrier even bigger.
Fact Checking PSD Claims
First, let’s all concede that this is stupid right outa the gate. After all, one thing PSD does really well is write out parking tickets. Why cut off revenue that might cover RIOC’s bloated payroll?
And how does this help anyway, replacing temporary violations with a 24/7 one?
That’s why we wondered about targeting. Does PSD have bug up its butt over something about the popular deli, Main Street’s longest standing business? Bread & Butter Deli is Muslim-owned and managed. Is that a factor in the targeting?
One good way of finding out how selective this is involves checking how other fire hydrants are “protected” in the canyon. Compare like for like. Here is what we found:
At the nearest fire hydrant outside Good Shepherd Plaza, no barrier was found. But a marked RIOC vehicle was illegally parked without interference from Chief Brown’s intrepid enforcers.
And it wasn’t alone.
A private vehicle, not ticketed, joined in the privilege.
Is it selective enforcement, targeted?
That seems clear, but what’s not clear is an honest explanation of why?
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Final Districting Map Now Sends Roosevelt Island Back HomeAfter weeks of push and pull, the final district map released yesterday returned Roosevelt Island to its lifetime home in Manhattan. A first map yanked the community, along with chunks of the Upper East Side,
- THE GOP’S 2022 PLATFORM IS A GRAB BAG OF NUTTINESSWhen not attacking the Muppets, the party’s leading figures have spent the year laying out plans to tax the poor and eliminate Social Security. By Jim Hightower | September 28, 2022 Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island
- THE COLLAPSE OF LOCAL NEWSPAPERS HELPS HACKS SPREAD LIES“Critical race theory” panic owes its rise to thousands of fake websites filling the gaps left by real, independent newspapers. By Jim Hightower | October 5, 2022 Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News One noisy
- Right-Sizing RIOC Now: Cut Bloated Public Safety StaffingThe common sense cutting of Public Safety staffing has nothing to do with “defunding” the police. Public Safety Officers are not police. We already pay for that in city taxes. But they are an inexcusable
- Stymied on OMNY for the Tram, Will RIOC Dip Deep into the Past?Stymied on OMNY, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) may have a solution. Cowed by bullying MTA brass, RIOC’s deep thinkers are rumored to be dipping into transit history for alternatives. As the story goes,