What is New York City known for? As a metropolis bulging with communities of all kinds and storied history, New York City is known for many things. Here are the 23 most notable.
by David Stone
What is New York City Known for? Let Me Count the Ways
1. New York City is known for its diverse population and communities.
Countless ethnicities making New York City home is best experienced by riding elevators and keeping track of the languages you hear. You can go days without hearing English.
2. New York City is known for its history – it’s one of the oldest cities in the United States.
The footprints of settlers and builders are everywhere, from the native Americans who were here long before Europeans took over their land to oligarchs hiding money in apartments all over Manhattan.
3. New York City is known for its world-class museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History.
Don’t miss The Museum of Sex, among the multitude.
4. New York City is known for its Broadway shows.
Curiously, a lot of them are about Broadway shows or New York City.
5. New York City is known for its restaurants, with cuisines from all over the world.
Get started early. If you start today, you can dine at a different eatery every day and be done in just 70 years.
6. New York City is known for its shopping, especially on Fifth Avenue and in Times Square.
But Times Square is for tourists, and Fifth Avenue is for people from anywhere with plenty of money.
7. New York City is known for its landmarks, including the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Central Park.
And the most hated building in history: Trump Tower where Donald has his golden toilet.
8. New York City is known for gay rights.
It all started here, and it has never stopped growing.
9. New York City is known for its parks, including Bryant Park, Madison Square Park, and Central Park.
Because there are so many reasons for nearby escapes.
10. New York City is known for its architecture, with buildings like the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building.
The invasion of not so pretty supertalls is going the wrong way, though.
11. New York City is known for its finance industry, which is headquartered on Wall Street.
Follow the money, if you can keep up with it.
12. New York City is known for its fashion industry, which is centered in SoHo and Chelsea.
And the models and designers of all genders who so beautifully come with it.
13. New York City is known for its music scene, with venues like Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall.
What’s your preference? You can find it here.
14. New York City is known for its nightlife, with bars and clubs in every neighborhood.
The city that never sleeps? Well, yeah. Maybe not always voluntarily.
15. New York City is known for its taxis and its grid-based street layout.
Taxis are coming back post-pandemic. Plus Lyfts, Ubers and grid-based traffic tie-ups.
16. New York City is known for being a major cultural center, with art, music, and theatre events happening all the time.
Dynamic. It a trend doesn’t start here, we steal it right away.
17. New York City is known for its high cost of living.
This is where the phrase, “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it,” was born.
18. New York City is known for its cold winters.
A fact only made worse by the absence of public toilets that continues to astonish tourists.
19. New York City is known for its hot summers.
And how air pollutants swell within it.
20. New York City is known for its congestion and traffic.
Perhaps “dreaded” is a better word for it than “known.”
21. New York City is known for its tall buildings.
“Skyscrapers” is a quaint term these days. Sky piercers is more like it. Tall for tall’s sake.
22. New York City is known for its bridges, including the Brooklyn Bridge and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Staten Island.
Stitching the boroughs together above ground.
25. New York City is known for its energy and excitement – there’s always something happening in the Big Apple!
But nobody ever gets enough sleep.
Many things make New York City unique and exciting. From its diverse population to its world-class museums and restaurants, there’s something for everyone in the Big Apple. If you’re looking for a city that’s full of culture and excitement, New York City is the place for you!
The Roosevelt Island Daily News is committed to covering its community without bias or shrinking from thorny issues. We need your support in our mission. Reading is always free but our expenses are not. Please chip in.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The New RIOC Passion for Self-Promotion Embarrasses Gretchen RobinsonWhat Chief Counsel Gretchen Robinson did may not embarrass her, but it should. Fifth in a series of what look like Jobs Wanted ads, Robinson snags space on a website set up for… wait for
- Are New York City Streets Getting Filthier? The Numbers Aren’t So ClearMayor Eric Adams’ war on trash and rats has led him to increase funding for more litter-basket pickup and lot-cleanup programs — but his office is at odds with New York’s Strongest about how they
- Motorgate Rate Increases, As Foolish As They Are UncaringSometimes, you run out of words. Describing RIOC’s heartless and thick-headed Motorgate rate increases backs us against the wall in frustration. Already grossly incompetent, management under Governor Kathy Hochul and CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J.
- How To Make Your Small Business MemorableBecome a familiar business in your community. Discover how to make your small business memorable and make a lasting impression on consumers.
- Common Testing Doctors Use To Find CancerIf your doctor’s worried that you have cancer, there are specific tests they’ll order. These are a few of the common tests doctors use to find cancer.