by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Hemp: Clothes Without the Downside
Click for details…
It’s not just another day in the life of a hemp advocate. Protecting the environment is, without question, one of the most significant reasons to wear hemp clothing. Here are some real-life benefits that happen when people choose to invest in environmentally friendly products.
Hemp fiber is made from the stalks of cannabis plants grown primarily in the Eastern parts of Asia. It is a strong, durable and natural fiber that can be made into clothing, rope and other products. Hemp continues to grow in popularity because it has few competitors when it comes to softness and durability (especially when compared with cotton).
The process of growing hemp requires no pesticides, creates minimal waste and reduces carbon emissions – making it a favorite of green enthusiasts. If that wasn’t enough, hemp textiles create less waste during the manufacturing process and require no bleaching, so they are often made with recycled materials.
Hemp is considered to be one of the planet’s best plants because it can grow in many climates without pesticides or herbicides. Hemp requires very little water to grow and in fact, is an excellent crop for cleaning soil in contaminated areas. Also, hemp needs very little fertilizing and does not deplete the soil in which it grows.
Hemp fiber is known to be extremely resistant to mildew and rot, making hemp clothing particularly popular in humid climates such as Florida or the mid-Atlantic states.
By now, you might be asking yourself – “where can I find some hemp clothing?” Fair question. You may already know that hemp is one of the oldest crops used for making textiles and it has been cultivated around the world dating back to at least 8000 BC. But still, many companies sell underwear, socks, jeans, t-shirts and more made from hemp.
If you are looking for a place to start, consider these popular brands which offer an assortment of hemp clothing.
While you are shopping around, don’t forget that hemp clothing offers more than just comfort and durability – it also protects the environment!
Hemp is the subject of many news stories and debates, so why not show your support for this remarkable plant? An investment in hemp clothing can help protect the environment by offering an alternative to cotton which requires massive amounts of land, water, fertilizers and pesticides. Choosing hemp over traditional textiles reduces waste when you are shopping for clothing. By avoiding toxins during the manufacturing process, we can help protect people and planet.
Thank you for reading! I hope it’s been helpful and provided a little insight into this thriving industry.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- What Black History Means to the 19th StaffBlack History Month has been reserved to acknowledge and commemorate the achievements of our ancestors, their great contributions and what they’ve done for the world. Growing up we learn about the likes of Frederick Douglass,
- Five Mindfulness Quotes Bringing Light and Insight for Life“Mindfulness” is a word that gets tossed around a lot these days. But what does it really mean? Is it just another fad or buzzword? Actually, mindfulness is an ancient practice with proven benefits for
- FDA Experts Are Still Puzzled Over Who Should Get Which Covid Shots and WhenAt a meeting to simplify the nation’s covid vaccination policy, the FDA’s panel of experts could agree on only one thing: Information is woefully lacking about how often different groups of Americans need to be
- Life after death experiences happening here and nowHave you ever wondered what happens to us after we die? While we may not have all the answers,some who have had brushes with death come back to tell the tale. Here we’ll share some
- TAKING A HARD LOOK AT POLICE KILLINGSPolice killed more people last year than any other on record. Can reimagining city budgets make our communities safer? By Sonali Kolhatkar | January 25, 2023 Last year was the deadliest on record for police killings in