When we learned, in early October, that board members Dave Kapell and Jeffrey Escobar no longer lived on Roosevelt Island, The Daily asked both to resign. Their appointments were based on their residency. Escobar, always an ethical Island volunteer in multiple projects, complied right away. Kapell, an Andrew Cuomo pal, did not – until yesterday.
by David Stone
In resigning, Kapell did not acknowledge widespread demands that he go. Instead, in a tweet by RIOC, he blamed new business obligations. RIOC did not otherwise make any sort of official announcement.
Opposition to Kapell’s refusal to go, an anti-community stance supported by RIOC and Governor Kathy Hochul, grew so fierce that State Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano proposed legislation that would require it.
The irony is that Kapell was the rare board member taking an active interest in community improvements. He pushed hard for upgrading the neglected Motorgate Atrium, among other projects, and was slowed only by the coronavirus.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Is there a connection between school bullying and mental health?School bullying is a serious problem that can have lasting consequences for both the victims and the perpetrators. Some experts believe that there may be a link between school bullying and mental health problems. If
- Why did the counterculture start? How it’s reflected todayIn the late 1960s, young people across America were rebelling against the “square” Establishment. They started the counterculture movement with changes in music, fashion, and lifestyle. But why did this counterculture start? Let’s take a
- What Does Free Thinking Mean Now? Lessons From the Counterculture“You’re never too old to learn,” people say. And they’re right – I’m currently learning about the art of free-thinking from the hippie counterculture. It’s been an interesting (and somewhat eye-opening) experience, to say the
- OMNY and the Roosevelt Island Tram Now Edge CloserTestifying before state lawmakers yesterday, MTA chief Janno Lieber answered a question about OMNY and the Roosevelt Island Tram. It wasn’t great, but it was much better than the hardball his agency took last November.
- What is school bullying and its consequences for kids?School bullying is a big problem that can have serious consequences for kids. Bullying can make kids feel isolated, scared, and unsafe. It can also lead to physical and emotional harm. If you suspect your