Up to a foot of snow is forecast for Roosevelt Island and the rest of New York City. An official Winter Storm Watch is on, with flakes piling up, starting Friday night.
by David Stone
A Foot of Snow Possible, This Weekend
The coastal storm, fed by a clash of cold air and warmer Atlantic Ocean moisture, should be plenty enough for bringing kids of all ages on sleds and saucers to the Cornell Tech slopes. Even if predictions are off by a little.
And it’ll be cold, winds up to 45 miles per hour and a high of only 28 on Saturday. Overnight lows will be in the mid-teens, all weekend.
Fresh food shoppers might want to consider whether our friends will be able to open the Farmers Market on Saturday morning. Plan ahead.
All that said, any storm can stall, speed up or swerve out to seas quickly in the this era of dramatic climate change. A foot of snow may evolve into a inch or two – or eighteen. But there’s no doubt of an onrush of winter weather. We’ll keep you post on what kind and how much as the storm draws closer.
A little added quirk – by this time next week, expect a return to snow-erasing 50 degree highs. These are not Mom’s and Dad’s winters anymore.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- New York City Health & Hospital’s Community Mural Project Graces Coler“Healing in Community,” a part of NYC Health & Hospitals’s mural project, went live on December 1st at Roosevelt Islands’s Coler Rehabilitation Center. It’s one of nine additions to the wide-ranging effort this year. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Community Mural Project is believed to be the country’s largest public hospital
- The “Eviction Machine” Now Slams Into Roosevelt IslandAs a community, we always thought we were immune from these things, but the “eviction machine” described in a New York Times article, is building up momentum, attacking Roosevelt Island’s most vulnerable residents. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News What happened…shows how New York City’s housing court system, created in part to shelter
- Who Just Made the Big Fat Silence You Didn’t Hear?It was RIOC, and that big fat silence billowed out in every direction as it had for months. Starting with brutal accusations in a lawsuit condemning a wide swath of Roosevelt Islanders as racists, the vacuum spread through escalating lawsuits into… nothing. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Another Big Fat Silence When
- FDNY Canceled a Dozen Inspections, Including at a Brooklyn Public School, to Fast Track City Hall VIPFire chiefs raised concerns about favoritism in the earliest months of the Adams administration, internal emails obtained by THE CITY show, as well-connected developers like The Related Companies lobbied to cut the fire inspection line. By Greg B. Smith Dec 3 12:00pm EST The pressure from Mayor Eric Adams’ team to fast-track an FDNY
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit — again. For the sixth time in a row, the agency that accounts for half the money Congress approves each year