Residents may have mistaken the signal as a Vatican-style announcement, but air pollution is the real culprit. This is the stack above Roosevelt Island Dry Cleaners spewing filthy air skyward over the community.
Air pollution, for at least the second time, this week, was smoke from the dry cleaner’s faulty boiler. It merged with the already not so great New York City air. But hearts chilled on learning that the super secret governing council known as RIOC or “Albany” had not elected a new patroon for the Island.
But there might be a grain of insight. Elbow and Ass Distinction Disorder (EADD) is widely suspected as endemic within the patroonship. And with air pollution fingered as accountable for fogging minds, the thought is that at least a partial explanation had been found.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- What Black History Means to the 19th StaffBlack History Month has been reserved to acknowledge and commemorate the achievements of our ancestors, their great contributions and what they’ve done for the world. Growing up we learn about the likes of Frederick Douglass,
- A Budding RIOC Bromance Softens the Sugary NarcissismThe RIOC bromance between President/CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J. Haynes and Akeem Jamal first blossomed as Haynes’s longtime friend, Altheria Jackson, was shown the door. Haynes was so taken with Jamal, he hired him at
- New York City’s Energy Future on Roosevelt Island’s HorizonThe Ravenswood Generating Station, just across the river from Roosevelt Island, becomes a key to New York City’s energy future with a transition to offshore wind power. The facility, long known as a significant source
- Why cats are the best-evolved animals in the modern worldThere’s no denying that cats are some of the most fascinating creatures on the planet, but are they also the best-evolved? And while there are many reasons why they’re so special, one thing, in particular,
- Five Mindfulness Quotes Bringing Light and Insight for Life“Mindfulness” is a word that gets tossed around a lot these days. But what does it really mean? Is it just another fad or buzzword? Actually, mindfulness is an ancient practice with proven benefits for