RIOC’s special gift for Roosevelt Island, amateurish and klutzy, comes wrapped in duct tape. And its message is indecipherable. But the one thing it does is keep the patroon’s special parking privileges safe from violation by anyone who lives here.
By David Stone
RIOC’s special “gift” start with something taken away.
Tuesday morning, the patroon was absent again, but the minion gave up one parking spot out of four to an unidentified favorite.
“Sheldon is off the island and this vehicle is parked…must be really important!” one resident noted, sending along his own photo.
But more intriguing are the traffic cones someone carefully placed inside the empty spaces, making clear that no one, other than the elites, was allowed to use them.
Note: The patroon’s special place is empty and without cones. He shouldn’t have to trouble himself to move one, should he decide to come to work on some whim.
But the highlight of RIOC’s special gift today must be seen up close for full appreciation…
Someone took the trouble to decorate the cones and their unreadable messages.
Incompetent… Unprofessional… Slipshod… We don’t really have a word for how ugly this is or how it insults those of us who call this Island home.
Is this what we’re paying upwards of $25 million a year for?
RIOC: the gift that keeps on giving.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Senator José Serrano’s disingenuous claims don’t cut it as RIOC board conflict deepensAs Jeffrey Escobar did the right thing as a nonresident, resigning from RIOC’s board of directors, State Senator José Serrano openly mislead the community about his role. The Roosevelt Islander blog reported his comments from a September 30th meeting. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News State Senator José Serrano on His Role in
- The Ugly AVAC Breakdown Now Extends Trash Heaps Through Roosevelt LandingsThe crisis caused by a nearly six month AVAC breakdown grew, this week,as the trash collection mess extended into Roosevelt Landings. Roosevelt Landings is the community’s largest resident complex. Photos of smelly trash bags, stacked at curbs, Manhattan-style, underscores RIOC incompetence as well as indifference. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The AVAC
- Canadian Geese Graze Through a Gentle Autumn in Southpoint ParkAs a slow and gentle autumn eases across New York, a small crew of Canadian Geese share the sunset in Roosevelt Island‘s Southpoint Park. The Roosevelt Island Daily News Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- You’re Invited: Public Opening Reception for Connie Tanner’s “The Roosevelts” at the Octagon GalleryOpening Reception: Thursday, October 21 from 5-8 pm 2021 Venue: Octagon Gallery – 888 Main St. Roosevelt Island, NY 10044 Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- A Headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse… Is It Still a Lighthouse?The now headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse poses a dilemma. Once a lighthouse loses its head, is it still a lighthouse? The Roosevelt Island Daily News By any of its previous names – Blackwell Island Lighthouse, Welfare Island Lighthouse – the Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, over nearly 150 years, never lost its head. It’s historic plus, designed