The Girl Puzzle, soon to open in Lighthouse Park on Roosevelt Island, arrives from a seed planted by Susan Rosenthal. While still RIOC President/CEO, she imagined a tribute to pioneering journalist Nellie Bly and made an artists’ call for ideas. Once they rolled in, she convened a team of reviewers made up of residents and RIOC staff. They made the final design choice.
By David Stone
Susan Rosenthal and The Girl Puzzle
“Because the idea of a memorial to Nelly Bly on the north end of Roosevelt Island was mine, meeting Prometheus, understanding and appreciating their remarkable concept, choosing and advocating for them to realize their vision, was one of the most exciting projects of my time as president of RIOC,” Rosenthal told The Daily.
Prometheus Art is a Kentucky based studio and foundry. One of the owners, Amanda Matthews designed The Girl Puzzle.
Even so, the current RIOC administration did not invite her to the opening on December 10th. Nor have they credited her efforts, without which the installation would not exist. But she’s coming anyway.
“While it has been disappointing not to be involved in its development,” Rosenthal added, “I am so excited to see— and walk through— The Girl Puzzle.
“I am certain this amazing public art will have an extraordinary impact on the Island.“
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Sources tell The Daily that redistricting will cost us Serrano but Maloney and Seawright stay for nowThe 2020 Census demands redistricting responsive to the current population. This brings a once every decade shift in district boundaries and community representatives. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Redistricting Means Change With
- Near blizzard conditions possible as coastal storm zeros in on New York CityThe coastal storm we reported on yesterday has grown more clearly defined. The National Weather Service upgraded the “Watch” to a “Warning” with concerning details. Closings and parking restrictions below. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Dave Kapell Finally Leaves RIOC Board, Four Months After Our RequestWhen we learned, in early October, that board members Dave Kapell and Jeffrey Escobar no longer lived on Roosevelt Island, The Daily asked both to resign. Their appointments were based on their residency. Escobar, always
- Albany Democrats Seize Control of Redistricting, With Unclear Role for PublicClifford Michel and Farah Javed, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 26 at 9:59pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. After years of championing an
- Watch on for up to a foot of snow, starting tomorrow across New York CityUp to a foot of snow is forecast for Roosevelt Island and the rest of New York City. An official Winter Storm Watch is on, with flakes piling up, starting Friday night. by David Stone