A bright and popular addition for Roosevelt Island opened one year ago. Granny Annie’s overcame never before seen obstacles, welcoming its first diners in September 2020.
By David Stone
A One-Year Anniversary for Granny Annie’s
No one needs reminding that 2020 was a harrowing year around the world, but among Roosevelt Island businesses, maybe Granny Annie’s got the worst of it.
Filling space vacated by Riverwalk Bar & Grill, Granny’s promised reinvigorating Riverwalk Commons. But after months of renovations, the coronavirus pandemic smacked the restaurant before the doors swung open.
It was worse because, missing their opening date meant not qualifying for government support pouring in for others. Federal salary support required opening before COVID hit, but the newcomer hadn’t gotten there yet.
Without any revenue, but aided by a sympathetic landlord, the owners hung on for six months. Hudson-Related quietly shared the suffering with many of its Shops On Main business, and that made a difference.
Happily, a year later, Roosevelt Island’s newest eatery is going strong, food served indoors and out on the border of the Commons.
Its visible popularity suggests a long and successful stay.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t