Way back in 1973, at the behest of the late great Bella Abzug, congress designated August 26th as Women’s Equality Day. This year, state senator José Serrano recognized the day as well as Wendy Hersh by awarding her his district’s Woman of Distinction honor.
“Each year, the New York State Senate’s Woman of Distinction award highlights outstanding women living and working in New York State whose contributions have greatly enriched the quality of life in their communities and beyond,” the announcement read.
“Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the scope of RIDA’s work increased significantly over the last several months, not only to include the disabled, but seniors and all those in need within the Roosevelt Island community.
“Under Ms. Hersh’s leadership, RIDA has addressed food insecurity, providing food and PPE for those at risk.
“As the pandemic began, Ms. Hersh and her team organized a meal delivery program for RIDA members with food provided by the New York City Department of Education. As they saw a need outside of their membership, they expanded delivery services, and within a few months, more than 180 individuals and families on Roosevelt Island were receiving meal delivery.”
Read more about this remarkable Roosevelt Islander here.
More News from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Wishes Come True: Seawright and Serrano Propose Strong Residency Requirements for RIOCThis afternoon, Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano jointly announced a proposed law including residency requirements for RIOC. Such changes have been on the wish list for Roosevelt Island activists for a decade. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Determined to enhance community/RIOC integration while promoting a responsive board have been
- Coming up: MSTDA Teen Theatre’s “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time”The Roosevelt Island Daily News Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance announces the opening of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” in the Howe Theatre, running Jan 28-30, directed by long-time MSTDA director Jacqueline Lucid. The National Theatre’s Olivier and Tony Award® -winning production of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in
- Tasty Eating, Handling Pain: This Week’s New Zoom Programing from the Carter Burden NetworkWhile the CBN/RI Senior Center remains closed by the COVID surge, the Carter Burden Network pitches in, lining up easy access online programs. Here’s what’s on tap for this week… The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- RIOC’s New Tram Shutdown Comes with Unintended HumorThe new Tram shutdown cuts back to single cabin operations and comes with a taste of Henny Youngman-esque humor. It’s not on purpose though, and the expected miscues repeat. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News About the new Tram shutdown On Sunday, January 23rd, a next phase of Tram maintenance reduces service to
- Hard winter weather sweeping in, but New York City will miss the worst of itby David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News New Yorkers got through the extreme cold weather for which Governor Kathy Hochul issued an alert on Saturday. Residents did fine. Or, for Buffalo Bills fans, better than fine as the team ignored frigid temperatures on the way to a 47 -17 win over New England on