Known locally for tireless volunteer work on Roosevelt Island, Judith Berdy receives the Marjorie Matthews Award in a virtual event on Friday. New York City Health and Hospitals recognizes her many years of service in support of their facilities.
From raising Roosevelt Island’s profile with her widely admired Historical Society to making sure elections run smoothly here, Judith Berdy has been a rock of commitment for Roosevelt Island.
But this time, the award comes from some of her less visible work on community advisory boards at Coler and Goldwater Hospitals.
Marjorie Matthews volunteered 20 years of service to King County Hospital Center Community Advisory Board, where she championed the cause for better service to the Brooklyn community.The Amsterdam News
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Paving Over History, RIOC Obliterates the NYPL GardenRIOC calls it, “…renovating the open space and garden adjacent to the R.I. branch of the NYPL,” but really, it’s paving over history. Unless paving over open space qualifies as “improvement.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Observing the destruction, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy mused… “The play area in
- People and Paint: Summer Splash, Scenes from an OpeningPeople and Paint make the story of this invigorating summer breakout as Summer Splash opened. It’s summer, people away, but the crowd came anyway. By David Stone Photos: Tad Sudol, Gallery RIVAA The Roosevelt Island Daily News Summer Splash: People and Paint Going out for gallery openings, people think about the art and the artists,
- Extreme Heat Sends New Yorkers to Emergency Rooms as Climate Toll GrowsSamantha Maldonado, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jul 27 at 8:28pm EDTby THE CITY The city is on pace to match 2018, when more than 700 people headed to the hospital due to hot weather, data shows. As the planet is warming, New York is feeling the heat: It recently placed as the
- Exceeding Expectations: Seen on the Roosevelt Island TramExceeding expectations is not normal with RIOC, but they pulled it off here. While the commitment to mask wearing is admirable, the WTF element carries us away. To the Midwest. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Exceeding Expectations on the Roosevelt Island Tram A reader emailed that she was “on the tram facing
- Some good news as PSD steps up its game against maskless Red Bus riders…Face mask compliance among Red Bus riders improved recently, and now RIOC’s public safety department steps up enforcement. But success is limited as long as Roosevelt Island neighbors refuse to help out. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News How PSD Steps Up Its Game Better late than never, on Monday, we found PSD