Filthy air continues. Particulate matter soared so high that counts are now officially rated “Unhealthy.” At roughly 4X the normal level.
By David Stone
The filthy air is visible in this skyline shot from Roosevelt Island, looking toward Manhattan, on Tuesday.
The cause is the outbreak of fires in the west, fires intensified by years of neglect in dealing with climate change.
Experts suggest staying indoors with an “activated air filtration system.” Stay away from busy roads and construction sites. Vulnerable folks, such as those with asthma, should avoid intense outdoor activities.
It’s possible that showers, this afternoon, will rinse out some of the filthy air. But don’t get too upbeat because climate change is here for good.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- It’s Constitution Week. Lynne Shinozaki and NYPL Welcome You to Learning More“We met at the Roosevelt Island Library last Friday to promote awareness of Constitution Week,” Shinozaki says. “It’s a National Celebration to bring renewed awareness to the awesome document that our Country is based on.” The Roosevelt Island Daily News “Please stop by our Roosevelt Island Public Library, 504 Main Street, and learn more about
- KICK SOME ASS, ROOSEVELT ISLAND. MAKE THE BASTARDS LISTENMake the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts
- The Roosevelt Island Elevator Storehouse? A Piece of the Past ReturnsAn Elevator Storehouse once sat alongside the Queensboro Bridge. Much more than a place for storage, it was torn down in 1970, before Welfare Island became Roosevelt. But a significant, salvaged piece returns home tomorrow. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News All photos courtesy of the Roosevelt Island Historical Society. An Elevator Storehouse
- RIOC Flips September Board Meeting Back To Zoom“Please take notice that a Board of Directors meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 at 5:30 PM,” RIOC posted yesterday. “Due to public health concerns and as authorized by Chapter 417 of the Laws of New York of 2021, this meeting will be conducted via videoconference.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island
- NO EXCUSES. COVID VACCINATIONS ARE JUST A FERRY RIDE AWAYIn a public release, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy cut to the chase, offering the following details. The Roosevelt Island Daily News NO MORE EXCUSES!! COVID VACCINATIONS ARE A QUICK FERRY RIDE AWAY NYC Vaccine Hub – Long Island CityWheelchair access Community Health Center/Clinic5-17 46th Road,Queens, 11101(877) 829-4692Vaccines offered: Pfizer (12+) Johnson & Johnson