By David Stone
It’s been a long year, but New York is fast reopening. The questions remain, however, over how to best protect ourselves and others. That is: To mask or not to mask.
Mask or not variables…
While relaxing face mask guidelines radically, the CDC drew a firm line between those of us fully vaccinated and those not. But who knows? There is no way of telling if the person plopping down next to you on a park bench is really vaccinated.
As it was all last year, it’s about trust.
Given that, the rest is pretty simple.
- The CDC says, if you’re fully vaccinated, you don’t need face masks in public or private, with these exceptions: You must honor local rules, plus all transportation — planes, buses, trains, etc. — are still face mask mandatory. Locally: Like the rest of New York, Roosevelt Island guidelines have not changed as of now. Stores, restaurants and offices must respect the standing face mask and social distancing rules.
Since Susan Rosenthal’s departure, last June, RIOC’s been relatively lax about promoting face masks or social distancing. It’s unrealistic expecting guidance locally now, but maybe Governor Cuomo will take action.
In their own words: “Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.” – The Centers for Disease Control
Facts behind the guidance
David Leonhardt in a New York Times article put it best:
First, the underlying virus that causes Covid rarely spreads outdoors. Second — and even more important — fully vaccinated people are at virtually no risk of serious disease and only a minuscule risk of spreading the virus to others.A C.D.C. Aboutface/David Leonhardt, May 14th, 2021
And there’s an important message from the White House: “After a year of hard work and so much sacrifice, the rule is very simple: Get vaccinated, or wear a mask until you do,” President Biden said.
We couldn’t have said it better.
Abide by the rules in all indoor public spaces, but get vaccinated and join the rest of us in showing off those smiling, friendly greetings again.
Latest from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Julie Menin takes the helm of the New York City Council’s Committee on Small BusinessThe Roosevelt Island Daily News “I ran for City Council on a platform to help support our struggling small businesses with a detailed plan of action focused on reducing onerous fines, implementing legacy small business legislation, reducing the commercial rent tax and creating a one stop portal for licenses and permits,” Menin said in a
- Nobody beats the Wiz, but fortunately Roosevelt Island did…Nobody beats the Wiz? What’s that got to do with Roosevelt Island? Nothing now, and that’s the good news. Here’s why… by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Carhartt Men’s Knit Cuffed Beanie Here’s how it looked in 2000 – when RIOC agreed to let Nobody beats the Wiz founder Stephen S. Jemal build
- Robert K. Hughes, After 35 Years, Ends His Service on Roosevelt IslandRob Hughes started work on Roosevelt Island in 1982 as a hospital care investigator at Goldwater Hospital, now the site of Cornell Tech. He leaves as Coler-Goldwater’s executive director after nearly 13 years in the post. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Hughes service on Roosevelt Island was interrupted in 1997 when he
- Slow Job Growth Reflects Omicron’s Economic TollGreg David, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 20 at 7:55pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Even with the city filled with tourists and office workers coming back to their desks, New York gained only 26,000 jobs in December, a pace that would put
- Who killed the Tram Plaza Reindeer?Property destruction comes in all flavors, but some land in a whole new category of stupid – like what happened to the Tram Plaza Reindeer… by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts