It’s not that the details, released last evening, of the dark fiber project are so startling. No, it’s that RIOC coughed them up at all. Without being asked.
By David Stone
In a promising development, after hours on Tuesday, RIOC emailed an alert to its subscribers.
“Installation of an inground fiber connection, which will strengthen the existing security camera network along the East Promenade, will be taking place on the East Promenade from Blackwell Park to 680 Main Street, now through June. Please note no impact to pedestrian access is expected.”
So, what exactly is a dark fiber project…?
Mysterious though it may sound, dark fiber is simply fiber cabling not “lit” by an internet provider connection. Like this…
Dark fiber awaits while workers dig a trench along the East Promenade.
Markings behind Roosevelt Landings signal the route south to Blackwell House.
And that takes heavy equipment for getting the job done, but RIOC’s crew is ready.
Does information released for the dark fiber project hint at increasing transparency at RIOC? We hope so.
We might even eventually learn what they’re “remediating” under the Roosevelt Island Bridge, but it’s too early for placing optimistic bets on it.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Is it expensive living on Roosevelt Island? Not when you know where to look“This just made me so sad for this lovely Island… “I just observed a woman urinating in a cup in the sitting area at top of subway steps/elevators. No public safety, no NYC police and no mta employees visible. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “I have only been working on RI 5
- Happy Pride at Roosevelt Island Graduate HotelGraduate Roosevelt Island hosts Happy Pride, a series of pop-ups from NYC favorites on Saturday, June 26th. Graduate recently opened at the entrance to the Cornell Tech campus. The Roosevelt Island Daily News So, what’s up with Happy Pride The event includes Big Gay Ice Cream, nail-art and mini manicures from Paint Box, Magic Mix Juicery, a
- At last, RIOC shuts down its costly, mysterious COVID testing siteRIOC’s mysterious COVID testing site is closing, stopping the cash drain from residents’ pockets. But the state’s still unwilling to tell us enough about it. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News While lies and deception remain unchecked, RIOC says its Swift Rapid COVID testing site expires on June 30th. This follows an inexplicable
- William vanden Heuvel dies. The Founder and guiding spirit at Four Freedoms ParkYesterday, June 15th, 2021, William vanden Heuvel died at his home in Manhattan. The cause was pneumonia, but in real time, the man’s legacy lives on. He’ll not simply be remembered, his spirit will be embraced. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “We need the patience to prevail, the discipline to succeed, the
- Hey, New York! You earned it. COVID restrictions blow away with fireworks tonightAs Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News COVID Restrictions Blown Away Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health