It’s not that the details, released last evening, of the dark fiber project are so startling. No, it’s that RIOC coughed them up at all. Without being asked.
By David Stone
In a promising development, after hours on Tuesday, RIOC emailed an alert to its subscribers.
“Installation of an inground fiber connection, which will strengthen the existing security camera network along the East Promenade, will be taking place on the East Promenade from Blackwell Park to 680 Main Street, now through June. Please note no impact to pedestrian access is expected.”
So, what exactly is a dark fiber project…?
Mysterious though it may sound, dark fiber is simply fiber cabling not “lit” by an internet provider connection. Like this…
Dark fiber awaits while workers dig a trench along the East Promenade.
Markings behind Roosevelt Landings signal the route south to Blackwell House.
And that takes heavy equipment for getting the job done, but RIOC’s crew is ready.
Does information released for the dark fiber project hint at increasing transparency at RIOC? We hope so.
We might even eventually learn what they’re “remediating” under the Roosevelt Island Bridge, but it’s too early for placing optimistic bets on it.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Tribeca vs Chelsea in NYC. Which is best for you?If you’re thinking of moving to New York City, you’re probably wondering what the difference is between Tribeca vs Chelsea. Both neighborhoods are great places to live, but they each have their own unique vibe. Here’s a quick rundown of the differences between these two NYC gems. by David Stone Location – Tribeca is located
- Is Tribeca Worth Visiting? It’s New York City’s Film CenterIf you’re looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Tribeca is not the place for you. However, if you’re looking for a place to find some of the best food, shopping, and entertainment in the city, then Tribeca is worth checking out. Here’s a look at what
- Can Bromance Turn Into Romance?Hollywood would have us believe that bromance is simply a close, Platonic friendship between two men. But what if there’s more to it than that? What if bromance can turn into something deeper, something more romantic? Let’s explore the possibility of bromance deepening into romance. by David Stone Defining bromance – what it is and
- 10 Reasons why you’d love living on the Upper West Side in New York CityHave you ever thought about living on the Upper West Side in New York City? Well, if you haven’t, you should! Here are 10 reasons why: by David Stone AD-> “Living on the UWS just puts you in an incredibly convenient location..” But there’s even more The people who live on the Upper West Side
- Racism on the Red Bus: Lost and Found or Left Behind?Racism on the Red Bus stunk its way onto an Octagon Red Bus yesterday, the first day of Black History Month. Found on a seat, it was either lost or – more likely – deliberately left there. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Racism pervades American culture, and Roosevelt Island was never an