It’s not that the details, released last evening, of the dark fiber project are so startling. No, it’s that RIOC coughed them up at all. Without being asked.
By David Stone
In a promising development, after hours on Tuesday, RIOC emailed an alert to its subscribers.
“Installation of an inground fiber connection, which will strengthen the existing security camera network along the East Promenade, will be taking place on the East Promenade from Blackwell Park to 680 Main Street, now through June. Please note no impact to pedestrian access is expected.”
So, what exactly is a dark fiber project…?
Mysterious though it may sound, dark fiber is simply fiber cabling not “lit” by an internet provider connection. Like this…
Dark fiber awaits while workers dig a trench along the East Promenade.
Markings behind Roosevelt Landings signal the route south to Blackwell House.
And that takes heavy equipment for getting the job done, but RIOC’s crew is ready.
Does information released for the dark fiber project hint at increasing transparency at RIOC? We hope so.
We might even eventually learn what they’re “remediating” under the Roosevelt Island Bridge, but it’s too early for placing optimistic bets on it.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Will the Roosevelt Island Tram tumble out of New York City Transit?Don’t tell the Roosevelt Island Tram operators, but the MetroCard will be gone in a little over a year. That’s according to TimeOut New York. But what does that mean for Roosevelt Island? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Roosevelt Island Daily thanks Sylvan Klein for the heads up. The Roosevelt Island
- RIHS Returns The Elevator Storehouse Plaque Home On Roosevelt IslandEfforts by the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) paid off yesterday when an original plaque from the Elevator Storehouse came home. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The plaque, identifying a building providing elevator service to Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge, arrived by car. Historical Society leader Judith Berdy arranged it. She
- A Gunboat in the East River Off Roosevelt IslandA gunboat in the East River, this morning, a blast from an painful past, a reminder of the sad way we were. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Twenty years ago, after the World Trade Center disaster, gunboats in the East River were a daily fixture. Walking from Manhattan Park to the subway,
- It’s Constitution Week. Lynne Shinozaki and NYPL Welcome You to Learning More“We met at the Roosevelt Island Library last Friday to promote awareness of Constitution Week,” Shinozaki says. “It’s a National Celebration to bring renewed awareness to the awesome document that our Country is based on.” The Roosevelt Island Daily News “Please stop by our Roosevelt Island Public Library, 504 Main Street, and learn more about
- KICK SOME ASS, ROOSEVELT ISLAND. MAKE THE BASTARDS LISTENMake the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts