Hula Hoop Violin seems an odd performance combination, and it is. But Sofia executes the feat, every weekend in New York City’s Central Park.
by David Stone
As a kid, I was pretty good with a hula hoop. It was my ticket to attention during the toy’s brief fling at mass popularity.
I was so good, my older brothers entered me in a contest. It was the only thing I was ever able to do better than them.
See another New York City performance novelty: Colin Huggins piano kills fascists
So, I know keeping a hula hoop whirling around your hips is hard, so hard I can’t do it at all anymore. Now, imagine playing the violin at the same time.
Sofia does it for tips on sunny afternoons in Central Park.
In the video above, she does her thing, entertaining passersby at the Conservatory Water while enthusiasts float miniature sailboats nearby.
“I don’t know how you ever learned to do this, but I’m impressed,” I told Sofia as I let my own cash join a pile in her violin case.
A greater question I failed to ask: How on Earth did you ever come up with this idea?
More from the Roosevelt island daily news
- What is the difference between consciousness and awareness?The consensus belief is that “consciousness is the sum of all our perceptions, and awareness is the sum of all our conscious experiences.” Let’s take a closer look. by David Stone In other words, consciousness
- Crazy Suzanne – PoetrySummer day, late afternoon, Crazy Suzanne appears at my door. “Are my tits getting bigger?” she wonders, raising her shirt up to her shoulders. Never having made their acquaintance before, I was at a loss
- RIOC, Haynes Slammed with New Discrimination LawsuitLast month, precisely one year after being fired, former RIOC in-house counsel Arthur Eliav filed a discrimination lawsuit against his former employer. Also named as defendants are President/CEO Shelton J. Haynes, Chief Counsel Gretchen Robinson
- What is the best time of year to visit New York City?There are a lot of great things about New York City, but one of the best things is that there’s always something to do. No matter what time of year you visit, there’s always a
- New York Assembly Districting Now Sucks Roosevelt Island Into QueensJust when you thought you were safely set in Manhattan, New York State Assembly Districting chucks Roosevelt Island into Queens once more. We survived City Council and State Senate battles, but here we go again.