Kadir Nelson turned to sculpture in a tribute to Major Taylor. We learn about it in his talk with YRB Magazine‘s Jonn Nubian…
by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Nelson’s best known for paintings that become New Yorker magazine covers and pop album artwork.
After help sell pop stars like Drake, Kadir Nelson took a different approach when asked by Hennessy (of cognac fame) to create a tribute to Marshall “Major” Taylor,
Like Kadir Nelson turned to sculpture…
Taylor was the first African American to become world champion in any sport. His work will be on display at the World Trade Center later this year.
Taylor’s sport was cycling, his victory at the world track championships in 1899.
Nelson’s commemorative sculpture was unveiled in May. YRB’s managing editor Jonn Nubian talked with Nelson about using sculpture instead of painting to honor the champion cyclist during the event.
The MAJOR was commissioned by Hennessy in 2018 to memorialize the achievements of Marshall ‘Major’ Taylor, part of the debut of the brand’s latest Wild Rabbit campaign that celebrates the theme of pushing one’s potential through stories of extraordinary individuals like Taylor.YRB magazine
also from the roosevelt island daily news
- How To Make Your Small Business MemorableBecome a familiar business in your community. Discover how to make your small business memorable and make a lasting impression on consumers.
- Common Testing Doctors Use To Find CancerIf your doctor’s worried that you have cancer, there are specific tests they’ll order. These are a few of the common tests doctors use to find cancer.
- Can Bromance Turn Into Romance?Hollywood would have us believe that bromance is simply a close, Platonic friendship between two men. But what if there’s more to it than that? What if bromance can turn into something deeper, something more romantic? Let’s explore the possibility of bromance deepening into romance. by David Stone Defining bromance – what it is and
- What Bromance Means Now As Barriers Come Down“Bromance” is a term that’s become increasingly popular in recent years, describing a close, platonic bond between two men. While the concept of bromance has been around for centuries, it’s only recently that it’s become mainstream and entered the lexicon. So what does bromance actually mean? In this post, we’ll explore its history and definition.
- What Black History Means to the 19th StaffBlack History Month has been reserved to acknowledge and commemorate the achievements of our ancestors, their great contributions and what they’ve done for the world. Growing up we learn about the likes of Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman and W.E.B. Du Bois. We’re reminded of our history, where we came from and the freedom