Kadir Nelson turned to sculpture in a tribute to Major Taylor. We learn about it in his talk with YRB Magazine‘s Jonn Nubian…
by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Nelson’s best known for paintings that become New Yorker magazine covers and pop album artwork.
After help sell pop stars like Drake, Kadir Nelson took a different approach when asked by Hennessy (of cognac fame) to create a tribute to Marshall “Major” Taylor,
Like Kadir Nelson turned to sculpture…
Taylor was the first African American to become world champion in any sport. His work will be on display at the World Trade Center later this year.
Taylor’s sport was cycling, his victory at the world track championships in 1899.
Nelson’s commemorative sculpture was unveiled in May. YRB’s managing editor Jonn Nubian talked with Nelson about using sculpture instead of painting to honor the champion cyclist during the event.
The MAJOR was commissioned by Hennessy in 2018 to memorialize the achievements of Marshall ‘Major’ Taylor, part of the debut of the brand’s latest Wild Rabbit campaign that celebrates the theme of pushing one’s potential through stories of extraordinary individuals like Taylor.YRB magazine
also from the roosevelt island daily news
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit — again. For the sixth time in a row, the agency that accounts for half the money Congress approves each year
- How to Safely Deal With Wild Animals in NYCSo, there’s a bat in your apartment. Or a racoon on your fire escape. Or a dolphin on the beach. Who’re you going to call? By Katie Honan Nov 27 5:00am EST There are more than 8 million humans in this city — but we’re not the only living things who can proudly call themselves
- 5 Unique Ways That People Use Robots Every DayAlthough they once seemed like visions of the future, today, robots contribute to our daily lives. Discover five unique ways that people use robots every day.
- How To Prepare a Clean and Safe Salon EnvironmentIf you want to keep your salon patrons coming back for more, follow these tips for creating a clean and safe environment. A healthy salon is a happy salon!
- Why Roosevelt Islanders need direct voting for the RIOC BoardI moved to Roosevelt Island in 2020 at the height of the pandemic. I was already fairly familiar with Roosevelt Island but I was most struck by two things in my first few months here: OpEd: Paul Krikler The Roosevelt Island Daily News As a newcomer, I had my own list of things I wanted