New York City can be an expensive place to visit, but with a little creativity, you can still find plenty of ways to have fun without breaking the bank. Here’s our guide to the most affordable activities in New York City —with a tongue-in-cheek twist of course!
- Stay warm while stargazing! On chilly nights hit up your local rooftop and take in the sights of the city night sky – without any expensive equipment. Plus, if you’re lucky and drop down to street level, maybe you’ll even get the chance to spot some famous celebrities walking around town.
- Enjoy a “free” show… at home! Don’t feel bad if you can’t spend hundreds on Broadway tickets—just turn on your TV and watch all those shows for free that are already airing on cable and streaming services. Check out Broadway HD and Public Television.
- Visit a museum…virtually! Sure, it’s not quite as thrilling as seeing some classic works of art in person, but there are plenty of excellent virtual tour options on the internet so you can still appreciate all that culture from the comfort of your own home.
- Take advantage of public parks! They’re among the most affordable activities iNew York City is full of great parks and green spaces that offer free access for everyone to enjoy. You can go for a stroll, take pictures, or just relax in nature – no hefty admission fees required here!
- Experience “the block” like never before! If you’re feeling adventurous (and maybe a bit daring) why not take a stroll through one of the city’s legendary back alleys? It may not be pretty, but it sure is an eye-opening experience – and don’t worry about needing cash because it won’t cost you a dime (though we do recommend keeping your phone close by!).
So there you have it—a list of some budget-friendly activities (with varying degrees of irony) that prove New York City doesn’t need to break your wallet!