The inspection accident resulted in no injuries after a scaffold collapse left two building inspectors dangling five stories up at 475 Main Street. Safety features kept the men from tumbling over 60 feet into a kids playground.
by David Stone
The Inspection Accident
When support cables holding up their scaffolding failed, safety ropes did exactly as they were designed, leaving a pair of building inspectors dangling at the fifth floor leve at 475 Main but uninjured.
FDNY had a crew on the scene quickly. Ladders reached the dangling workers quickly, and they were rescued through residents’ windows.
ABC7 shared a video of the scene.
Safety features prevented a tragedy, and FDNY mopped up a scene that could’ve been much worse.
Photographer Mircea Nicolescu shared stills on Facebook, showing how dangerous the inspection accident was.
also from the roosevelt island daily news
- New Art: Woman with a Parasol in Central ParkTimes change, and we are taking a fresh approach and looking at the world through art. In 1875, Claude Monet painted his early masterpiece, Woman with a Parasol – Madame Monet and Her Son. It’s … Read more
- Free This Week-Register for “Theater of War” at Four FreedomsA cast of stars reads from the Theater of War, from Sophocles’s Ajax, about “…the visible and invisible wounds of war.” The performance is followed by community panelist remarks and a facilitated audience discussion. The … Read more
- A Fabulous New Haynes Lawsuit Gets Crain’s Attention AgainFiled last week, the new Shelton Haynes lawsuit required an article here, but that’s where it should have ended. But Crain’s New York got wind of it and couldn’t resist. Missing much of the substance … Read more
- Haynes, Other Execs Cleared in the “Open Letter” InvestigationIn March 2022, a confidential source handed The Daily an envelope containing an “Open Letter” composed by a group calling itself “We Deserve Better New York.” Frustration and anger spilled off its pages, but the … Read more
- What’s the Latest on the Secret AVAC Failures?“The west side of the AVAC line is obstructed impacting garbage collection via vacuum along the duct work servicing building complex at Westview and BLG 531 (Rivercross),” a RIOC Advisory said. It foreshadowed worse to … Read more