“Verdant Power is commercializing tidal energy to realize a blue economy powered by a Marine Renewable Energy (MRE) industry,” said an article on the National Hydropower Association website.
“In 2020, Verdant Power deployed three of its fifth-generation turbines mounted on a single TriFrame™ in New York City’s East River tidal strait. The operational excellence of the RITE Project, as recognized by the OSAW award puts the vision of a commercial MRE industry within reach.”
As we reported in October 2020, “The original set of turbines supplied energy to the old Gristedes, now Foodtown, and to Motorgate. The idea was a trial because nobody knew for sure if the equipment could survive powerful East River tides.”
“This pre-commercial demonstration of the proprietary integrated system is designed to optimize the economics of installation and maintenance over the system’s 20-year life, and to prove performance,” Verdant’s spokesman told us.
Here is what Verdant President John Banigan told us at the time…
The project lasted nine months and delivered a record amount of generated power into the New York City grid.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Sources tell The Daily that redistricting will cost us Serrano but Maloney and Seawright stay for nowThe 2020 Census demands redistricting responsive to the current population. This brings a once every decade shift in district boundaries and community representatives. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Redistricting Means Change With
- Near blizzard conditions possible as coastal storm zeros in on New York CityThe coastal storm we reported on yesterday has grown more clearly defined. The National Weather Service upgraded the “Watch” to a “Warning” with concerning details. Closings and parking restrictions below. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Dave Kapell Finally Leaves RIOC Board, Four Months After Our RequestWhen we learned, in early October, that board members Dave Kapell and Jeffrey Escobar no longer lived on Roosevelt Island, The Daily asked both to resign. Their appointments were based on their residency. Escobar, always
- Albany Democrats Seize Control of Redistricting, With Unclear Role for PublicClifford Michel and Farah Javed, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 26 at 9:59pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. After years of championing an
- Watch on for up to a foot of snow, starting tomorrow across New York CityUp to a foot of snow is forecast for Roosevelt Island and the rest of New York City. An official Winter Storm Watch is on, with flakes piling up, starting Friday night. by David Stone