“Verdant Power is commercializing tidal energy to realize a blue economy powered by a Marine Renewable Energy (MRE) industry,” said an article on the National Hydropower Association website.
“In 2020, Verdant Power deployed three of its fifth-generation turbines mounted on a single TriFrame™ in New York City’s East River tidal strait. The operational excellence of the RITE Project, as recognized by the OSAW award puts the vision of a commercial MRE industry within reach.”
As we reported in October 2020, “The original set of turbines supplied energy to the old Gristedes, now Foodtown, and to Motorgate. The idea was a trial because nobody knew for sure if the equipment could survive powerful East River tides.”
“This pre-commercial demonstration of the proprietary integrated system is designed to optimize the economics of installation and maintenance over the system’s 20-year life, and to prove performance,” Verdant’s spokesman told us.
Here is what Verdant President John Banigan told us at the time…
The project lasted nine months and delivered a record amount of generated power into the New York City grid.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Stymied on OMNY for the Tram, Will RIOC Dip Deep into the Past?Stymied on OMNY, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) may have a solution. Cowed by bullying MTA brass, RIOC’s deep thinkers are rumored to be dipping into transit history for alternatives. As the story goes,
- Severe Sleep Apnea Diagnosis Panics Reporter Until He Finds a Simple, No-Cost SolutionThe lab technician who watched me all night via video feed told me that I had “wicked sleep apnea” and that it was “central sleep apnea…” Jay Hancock, Kaiser Health NewsOctober 3, 2022 Republished with
- RIOC Promotes Mary Cunneen, Staffer with a “History.”Mary Cunneen, then Director of Parks and Recreation at RIOC, got my attention in 2018 when I ran into two women crying on Main Street. Cunneen, they said, was trying to shut down the Southpoint
- Most Americans believe #MeToo has changed the climate around workplace sexual misconductOriginally published by The 19th Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News Almost five years since the #MeToo went viral, new data from the Pew Research Center finds that most Americans believe that the
- When the Dog Ate Their Homework, RIOC’s Credibility Took A HitRIOC’s credibility took a hit on Saturday. No, the dog did not eat their homework, but it was damn close. Their “AVAC plant was struck by lightning,” they said. Show jaw drops here. The trouble