“Verdant Power is commercializing tidal energy to realize a blue economy powered by a Marine Renewable Energy (MRE) industry,” said an article on the National Hydropower Association website.
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
“In 2020, Verdant Power deployed three of its fifth-generation turbines mounted on a single TriFrame™ in New York City’s East River tidal strait. The operational excellence of the RITE Project, as recognized by the OSAW award puts the vision of a commercial MRE industry within reach.”
As we reported in October 2020, “The original set of turbines supplied energy to the old Gristedes, now Foodtown, and to Motorgate. The idea was a trial because nobody knew for sure if the equipment could survive powerful East River tides.”
“This pre-commercial demonstration of the proprietary integrated system is designed to optimize the economics of installation and maintenance over the system’s 20-year life, and to prove performance,” Verdant’s spokesman told us.
Here is what Verdant President John Banigan told us at the time…
The project lasted nine months and delivered a record amount of generated power into the New York City grid.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Stiff Prices, Unfulfilled Orders: How the Private Contractor Running Rikers Commissary Serves DetaineesBianca Pallaro and Reuven Blau, The City This article was originally published on Jun 9 5:00am EDT by THE CITY In April 2022, the New York City Department of Correction signed a no-bid contract with
- Haynes at it again. Someone please offer this man a new jobIt looks like a long campaign for a new job. Why else would anyone push this nonsense? “Given a problematic task nearly 50 years ago, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation established and slowly grew a
- Staying Inside Won’t Protect You from Smoke Unless the Air is CleanSamantha Maldonado, The City This article was originally published on Jun 8 8:38pm EDT by THE CITY As New York City’s air quality remained unhealthy due to Canadian wildfires, Mayor Eric Adams encouraged New Yorkers
- Gap Show – RIVAA’s New Idea Surprises Next Week at the GalleryWhat is a gap show? We’re about to find out on Wednesday June 14th, when RIVAA‘s artists surprise visitors with a themed show. With ten days to run, they will fill the walls with inspiration
- The Tug-of-War for New York City’s Streets: Iconic Avenues with Unbelievable HistoriesHey there, fellow street wanderers! Ever wondered how the bustling, iconic avenues of New York City came to be? We’re about to take a fast ride through the histories of NYC’s most famous streets. From
[…] Outstanding Stewards of America’s Waters: The Roosevelt Island Tidal Energy (RITE) Project […]