“Verdant Power is commercializing tidal energy to realize a blue economy powered by a Marine Renewable Energy (MRE) industry,” said an article on the National Hydropower Association website.
“In 2020, Verdant Power deployed three of its fifth-generation turbines mounted on a single TriFrame™ in New York City’s East River tidal strait. The operational excellence of the RITE Project, as recognized by the OSAW award puts the vision of a commercial MRE industry within reach.”
As we reported in October 2020, “The original set of turbines supplied energy to the old Gristedes, now Foodtown, and to Motorgate. The idea was a trial because nobody knew for sure if the equipment could survive powerful East River tides.”
“This pre-commercial demonstration of the proprietary integrated system is designed to optimize the economics of installation and maintenance over the system’s 20-year life, and to prove performance,” Verdant’s spokesman told us.
Here is what Verdant President John Banigan told us at the time…
The project lasted nine months and delivered a record amount of generated power into the New York City grid.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- RIOC Board Meeting, May 2022: A New Exercise in Bunker ModeBunker mode fits as well with New York’s Open Meetings Law as a whale on a shrimp boat. They’re antithetical. One reveals things; the other hides them. But controlled by an irresponsible governor and a
- Sunset Park, Brooklyn: A Neighborhood, History and a FutureSunset Park in Brooklyn is a neighborhood located in the western part of the borough. It has a rich history that can be traced back to the 1800s. What makes Sunset Park unique is its
- Reduced Fare Taps Coming Soon for MTA Buses & SubwaysThe Metropolitan Transit Authority is preparing to bring reduced fare customers – seniors, disabled, etc. – into the OMNI system soon. You will be able to tap and go, just like everyone else – not
- Another One Bites the Dust: Markus Sztejnberg Exits RIOCMarkus Sztejnberg, the latest domino to fall in a row of RIOC executives, left recently after just a few months on staff. He “…is the latest RIOC executive to resign,” an informant tells The Daily.
- Special Master Carves Up New York’s Congressional and State Senate Seats With New MapsRachel Holliday Smith, The City This article was originally published on May 16 6:34pm EDT by THE CITY /Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. The Roosevelt Island Daily News