Christmas in New York in 2021 was more of the wet than white style. Showers rinsed gritty streets and office towers until noon, but then, with temperatures nearing 50, you could believe you were somewhere else.
By David Stone
Pictures of New York, Christmas 2021
In Carl Schurz Park at 2:00, blue skies followed the showers.
But for a serious contrast, the scene in Hell Gate looked as out of season as any Christmas in Memory…
Where the confluence of Harlem and East Rivers met the tides from Long Island Sound, once creating ship-sinking cross currents, it was just peaceful.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- New York City Health & Hospital’s Community Mural Project Graces Coler“Healing in Community,” a part of NYC Health & Hospitals’s mural project, went live on December 1st at Roosevelt Islands’s Coler Rehabilitation Center. It’s one of nine additions to the wide-ranging effort this year. by
- The “Eviction Machine” Now Slams Into Roosevelt IslandAs a community, we always thought we were immune from these things, but the “eviction machine” described in a New York Times article, is building up momentum, attacking Roosevelt Island’s most vulnerable residents. by David
- Who Just Made the Big Fat Silence You Didn’t Hear?It was RIOC, and that big fat silence billowed out in every direction as it had for months. Starting with brutal accusations in a lawsuit condemning a wide swath of Roosevelt Islanders as racists, the
- FDNY Canceled a Dozen Inspections, Including at a Brooklyn Public School, to Fast Track City Hall VIPFire chiefs raised concerns about favoritism in the earliest months of the Adams administration, internal emails obtained by THE CITY show, as well-connected developers like The Related Companies lobbied to cut the fire inspection
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit —