Does anyone clean the Island anymore? Outdoor maintenance has looked pretty shabby lately and generates regular complaints. Including this one…
Clean the Island, please… if you’re not too busy.
“I was just wondering if anyone cleans the island anymore,” a reader wrote.
“Roosevelt Island looks neglected, and It is dirtier and dirtier every day. It is really so sad to see this.
“Yesterday I saw this guy that looks like he’s hired to clean up. I was happy to see him thinking, We will have again a clean area…
But guess what, he just stopped near one of the benches to check his phone and then walked away with his bucket and broom that never touched the ground,” she continued.
“Unfortunately you see more and more places like these. Is anyone in charge with checking how the cleaning of the island is done? Or this is a job done remotely from home?
“It makes me sad to see our beautiful island so grossly neglected. I’ve lived on the island for many years, and I think this is the worst I’ve seen it.”
Really. Does anyone clean the Island anymore?
Maybe Public Safety isn’t the only crew that quit working.
More News from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t