Acting quickly, NYS assembly member Rebecca Seawright secured space on Roosevelt Island for early voting in this year’s general election. With exact dates not yet determined, voters will again line up at Sportspark.
“This is a great day for the disabled, senior citizens and all Roosevelt Island voters who traveled off island in 2020, only to suffer long lines and wait times to vote,” said Seawright.
RIOC president/CEO Shelton J. Haynes agreed to using the state-managed facility.
In the featured mayoral contest, Republican Curtis Sliwa takes on Democrat Eric Adams.
A race for the city council seat being vacated by Ben Kallos, Democrat Julie Menin takes on Republican/Liberal Mark Foley.
Seawright has led the charge in setting up early voting sights, adding the Metropolitan Museum and Manhattan Marymount College, along with Sportspark, for the June primaries.
“We must fulfill the intent of early voting opportunities, including convenient voting times such as early morning, late evening, and weekend hours,” said Seawright.
“We are proud to support the establishment of additional sites to eliminate long lines and wait times that deter voters from the exercise of their fundamental rights.”
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t