Maskless Tram riders…?
“What are the current RIOC masking rules on the Red Bus and Tram?” a reader asks. “I have noticed that there are fewer people masking-up and, with the Delta variant, it is making me nervous.”
By David Stone
I gave her the facts, i.e., 100% masks required. Then, she asked, “Is there anything that can be done about this? Such as a petition to request that they enforce it?”
Maskless Tram Riders
“Nothing has worked so far,” we wrote, although for the last few days, Red Bus enforcement has treated us to rides without the hazards of maskless passengers.
“Yesterday, on the tram, kid were not masked (they were not toddlers – more like ages 5 through 8) and on the red bus. I noticed this week that people are dropping their masks (below the nose) and sometimes kids are not masked.”
Going to and from a meeting on the other side of the East River, we decided to check out maskless Tram riders.
In every cabin, including passengers riding into the station, some without masks were visible, although usually hidden from view of the operator.
At least partly responsible was a lack of clear guidance from Tram operators. “Face masks required” was cursory and without gravity.
In one case, though, an operator reached in for a mask which he, then, gave to a passenger boarding right in front of him. No objections from the passenger.
“Maybe, they should bring the Public Safety officers back to the tram platforms to enforce the masks…”
If you can find one.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t