As Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night.
By David Stone
COVID Restrictions Blown Away
Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health screenings, and contact tracing information. But they remain optional for retail, food services, offices, gyms and fitness centers, amusement and family entertainment, hair salons, personal care services, real estate, child care, movie theaters and other commercial settings.
Masks are still required on public transportation, at pre-K through grade-12 schools, in nursing homes, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, schools, and health care facilities.
Yes, Governor Cuomo announced fireworks at 9:15 in ten places around the state, including New York Harbor.
Image from Governor Cuomo’s presentation today.
Rockets also hit the sky not far away in Nyack and Jones Beach.
And that’s not all.
Thirteen landmarks will also light up in New York State colors, blue and gold. Those include the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building and Grand Central.
New York’s coming back out as COVID restrictions blow away.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Wishes Come True: Seawright and Serrano Propose Strong Residency Requirements for RIOCThis afternoon, Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano jointly announced a proposed law including residency requirements for RIOC. Such changes have been on the wish list for Roosevelt Island activists for a decade. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Determined to enhance community/RIOC integration while promoting a responsive board have been
- Coming up: MSTDA Teen Theatre’s “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time”The Roosevelt Island Daily News Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance announces the opening of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” in the Howe Theatre, running Jan 28-30, directed by long-time MSTDA director Jacqueline Lucid. The National Theatre’s Olivier and Tony Award® -winning production of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in
- Tasty Eating, Handling Pain: This Week’s New Zoom Programing from the Carter Burden NetworkWhile the CBN/RI Senior Center remains closed by the COVID surge, the Carter Burden Network pitches in, lining up easy access online programs. Here’s what’s on tap for this week… The Roosevelt Island Daily News More from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- RIOC’s New Tram Shutdown Comes with Unintended HumorThe new Tram shutdown cuts back to single cabin operations and comes with a taste of Henny Youngman-esque humor. It’s not on purpose though, and the expected miscues repeat. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News About the new Tram shutdown On Sunday, January 23rd, a next phase of Tram maintenance reduces service to
- Hard winter weather sweeping in, but New York City will miss the worst of itby David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News New Yorkers got through the extreme cold weather for which Governor Kathy Hochul issued an alert on Saturday. Residents did fine. Or, for Buffalo Bills fans, better than fine as the team ignored frigid temperatures on the way to a 47 -17 win over New England on