As Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night.
By David Stone
COVID Restrictions Blown Away
Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health screenings, and contact tracing information. But they remain optional for retail, food services, offices, gyms and fitness centers, amusement and family entertainment, hair salons, personal care services, real estate, child care, movie theaters and other commercial settings.
Masks are still required on public transportation, at pre-K through grade-12 schools, in nursing homes, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, schools, and health care facilities.
Yes, Governor Cuomo announced fireworks at 9:15 in ten places around the state, including New York Harbor.
Image from Governor Cuomo’s presentation today.
Rockets also hit the sky not far away in Nyack and Jones Beach.
And that’s not all.
Thirteen landmarks will also light up in New York State colors, blue and gold. Those include the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building and Grand Central.
New York’s coming back out as COVID restrictions blow away.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- RIOC retaliation? Kids of mom who complained about racism now banned from swimmingWas it RIOC retaliation against a Roosevelt Island mom who charged the state agency with racism, last week? Without prior warning or even an explanation, she says, RIOC banned her girls from swimming at Sportspark. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News At 2:00 yesterday afternoon, Susana del Campo Perea left Sportspark with her
- Paving Over History, RIOC Obliterates the NYPL GardenRIOC calls it, “…renovating the open space and garden adjacent to the R.I. branch of the NYPL,” but really, it’s paving over history. Unless paving over open space qualifies as “improvement.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Observing the destruction, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy mused… “The play area in
- People and Paint: Summer Splash, Scenes from an OpeningPeople and Paint make the story of this invigorating summer breakout as Summer Splash opened. It’s summer, people away, but the crowd came anyway. By David Stone Photos: Tad Sudol, Gallery RIVAA The Roosevelt Island Daily News Summer Splash: People and Paint Going out for gallery openings, people think about the art and the artists,
- Extreme Heat Sends New Yorkers to Emergency Rooms as Climate Toll GrowsSamantha Maldonado, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jul 27 at 8:28pm EDTby THE CITY The city is on pace to match 2018, when more than 700 people headed to the hospital due to hot weather, data shows. As the planet is warming, New York is feeling the heat: It recently placed as the
- Exceeding Expectations: Seen on the Roosevelt Island TramExceeding expectations is not normal with RIOC, but they pulled it off here. While the commitment to mask wearing is admirable, the WTF element carries us away. To the Midwest. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Exceeding Expectations on the Roosevelt Island Tram A reader emailed that she was “on the tram facing