The Carter Burden Network (CBN) announces a return to semi-normal for Roosevelt Island Seniors as RISC reopens on Main Street.
By David Stone
“RISC has been given the green light to open our doors,” CBN/RI Senior Center Director Lisa Fernandez tells The Daily. “DFTA and our Mayor have given the ok.”
DFTA is the New York City Department for the Aging, which provides primary funding for senior centers.
The return to semi-normal for Roosevelt Island seniors
“We will begin slowly, carefully and safely,” Fernandez cautions. “We have many protocols and guidelines to follow.
“The health and safety of our clients and staff are our priority.”
(Above) A New York City Road Runners “Striders” class in 2019. CBN looks for a return to regular activities, like this one, over the summer. Starting June 14th, CBN will post a weekly schedule, but it will evolve.
Doors open at 10:00 a.m., starting Monday, and for now, the Center closes at 3:30.
A daily hot meal will be offered in the cafeteria, seating limited to 25% of capacity. A daily Grab–N-Go will also be available.
“Folks are welcome to sit in the garden and enjoy their lunch as well,” Fernandez added.
Reopened but cautious
Services are limited, for now. The computer lab, for example, opens with limited capacity, but there will be games on the patio weather permitting.
Case management returns, by appointment only.
“The staff at the Roosevelt Island Senior Center is excited to be welcoming back our members,” Fernandez exclaimed, adding, “We ask that all entering the Senior Center wear a mask.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- ￼Make the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts
- The Roosevelt Island Elevator Storehouse? A Piece of the Past ReturnsAn Elevator Storehouse once sat alongside the Queensboro Bridge. Much more than a place for storage, it was torn down in 1970, before Welfare Island became Roosevelt. But a significant, salvaged piece returns home tomorrow. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News All photos courtesy of the Roosevelt Island Historical Society. An Elevator Storehouse
- RIOC Flips September Board Meeting Back To Zoom“Please take notice that a Board of Directors meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 at 5:30 PM,” RIOC posted yesterday. “Due to public health concerns and as authorized by Chapter 417 of the Laws of New York of 2021, this meeting will be conducted via videoconference.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island
- NO EXCUSES. COVID VACCINATIONS ARE JUST A FERRY RIDE AWAYIn a public release, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy cut to the chase, offering the following details. The Roosevelt Island Daily News NO MORE EXCUSES!! COVID VACCINATIONS ARE A QUICK FERRY RIDE AWAY NYC Vaccine Hub – Long Island CityWheelchair access Community Health Center/Clinic5-17 46th Road,Queens, 11101(877) 829-4692Vaccines offered: Pfizer (12+) Johnson & Johnson
- Looking for Work? Job Openings at the Café on the Cornell Tech CampusNew jobs are available on the exciting Cornell Tech campus, and you can apply for them, right now, right here. The Roosevelt Island Daily News “We are currently hiring for cashiers and cooks,” says general manager Christopher Lewis. “Please see the following links.” Cashier – Constellation Culinary Group (jobappnetwork.com) Line Cook – Constellation Culinary Group