Did the last Roosevelt Island goslings perish inside their eggshells on the rocky shore in FDR Four Freedoms Park?
By David Stone
RIOC’s strange and reckless assault on Southpoint Park includes habitat destruction that will vibrate through the years ahead.
The reinvention of Southpoint in open defiance of resident wishes wiped out the last wild spaces on Roosevelt Island. Shoreline borders were home to countless plants and animals.
But in a Zoom conference, Langan, overseeing the demolition, argued that all the species would return following project completion. That was nonsense because Langan’s converting the shoreline habitats to Brooklyn Bridge Park-style tourist lures, unsuitable for the species evicted.
A more likely representative scenario is this failed attempt to nest on an unprotected, rocky shoreline, the best this Canadian Goose was able to scrape together after RIOC destroyed the Southpoint habitat.
Her eggs were abandoned, unhatched between sharp-edged rocks.
- Is it expensive living on Roosevelt Island? Not when you know where to look“This just made me so sad for this lovely Island… “I just observed a woman urinating in a cup in the sitting area at top of subway steps/elevators. No public safety, no NYC police and no mta employees visible. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “I have only been working on RI 5
- Happy Pride at Roosevelt Island Graduate HotelGraduate Roosevelt Island hosts Happy Pride, a series of pop-ups from NYC favorites on Saturday, June 26th. Graduate recently opened at the entrance to the Cornell Tech campus. The Roosevelt Island Daily News So, what’s up with Happy Pride The event includes Big Gay Ice Cream, nail-art and mini manicures from Paint Box, Magic Mix Juicery, a
- At last, RIOC shuts down its costly, mysterious COVID testing siteRIOC’s mysterious COVID testing site is closing, stopping the cash drain from residents’ pockets. But the state’s still unwilling to tell us enough about it. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News While lies and deception remain unchecked, RIOC says its Swift Rapid COVID testing site expires on June 30th. This follows an inexplicable
- William vanden Heuvel dies. The Founder and guiding spirit at Four Freedoms ParkYesterday, June 15th, 2021, William vanden Heuvel died at his home in Manhattan. The cause was pneumonia, but in real time, the man’s legacy lives on. He’ll not simply be remembered, his spirit will be embraced. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “We need the patience to prevail, the discipline to succeed, the
- Hey, New York! You earned it. COVID restrictions blow away with fireworks tonightAs Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News COVID Restrictions Blown Away Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health