Repeat Offender: It’s 3:00 p.m., and Tram riders exit and board a Red Bus. A half-dozen or so sit in plain view without face masks. At the subway stop, four more board, walking straight past the silent driver, a box of free face masks beside him. The whole story wasn’t clear for a while.
by David Stone
Just yesterday, we reported on RIOC’s ongoing failure to protect Tram riders from maskless passengers. That followed a complaint earlier in the month, but rudderless RIOC has multiple repeat offenders.
As the bus cruised up Main Street, it passed four barely active Public Safety officers. None boarded for a check nor did the driver request help. With so little supervision apparent within RIOC operations and, of course, no messaging of any kind, it’s all for themselves.
My curiosity rose and I weighed asking the driver why he left compliant residents at the mercy of maskless passengers. Omicron variants are surging across the city, and you’d think…
But no, RIOC’s reckless disregard for public safety’s at a new low. But it’s even worse than you think…
As I went to the front of the bus, I saw the driver and understood the problem. He was not wearing a face mask himself, although he had one pulled down to his chin.
And making RIOC’s negligence worse, it was the same guy we reported, with a photo, last August, doing the same damn thing. And, then as now, getting away with it.
Residents foot the bill for over 20 six figure salaries here, but we have a hard time finding any one of them working for us.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Urgent Care, Amalgamated Bank Never Left… Source: RIOC’s WebsiteWhatever it’s supposed to be in the real world, RIOC’s website is sweetened with pleasures of times past. Amalgamated Bank still thrives, and Roosevelt Island Urgent Care awaits your visit. The state only pulls $25
- FDR Four Freedoms State Park Is a Beacon of Free SpeechOne of the most important freedoms we have in America is the right to free speech. During World War II, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) declared four essential freedoms that all individuals should have access
- Escape From New York? City Tax Data Shows 2020 Drop in High EarnersNew York City’s economy survived the pandemic shutdown in 2020 because an unprecedented increase in jobless benefits buoyed households. The city avoided a fiscal crisis because a surge in capital gains for the richest taxpayers
- What is the difference between consciousness and awareness?The consensus belief is that “consciousness is the sum of all our perceptions, and awareness is the sum of all our conscious experiences.” Let’s take a closer look. by David Stone In other words, consciousness
- Crazy Suzanne – PoetrySummer day, late afternoon, Crazy Suzanne appears at my door. “Are my tits getting bigger?” she wonders, raising her shirt up to her shoulders. Never having made their acquaintance before, I was at a loss